conditioning with b. claussenii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattTimBell

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to research the use of b. claussenii for conditioning a big beer, a la some of the old, British imperial stouts and old ales. Has anyone done this?

My hope is to add a slowly growing, smokey funkiness to an RIS that I'll condition and serve from a party pig starting this August, brewing (hopefully) in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for any advice,
Matt

An interesting yeast............... Here's a blurb from wikipedia:

Ethanol fuel is becoming more prevalent as an alternative fuel source for automobiles. Using waste wood and agricultural residue is one way to produce ethanol without using crops that could potentially be food sources, such as corn. Combined with Pichia Stipitis R, Brettanomyces claussenii has been shown to produce ethanol from lignocellusic material. The material is prehydrolysed with sulfur dioxide and then simultaneously saccrified and fermented. This fermentation is rapid and efficient, producing between 360 and 370 Liters of Ethanol per ton of prehydrolysed lignocellsic material. [5] However, Brettanomyces Claussenii is unable to convert lactose to ethanol, like several other yeasts can. [6]

In clusters of Brettanomyces claussenii a negative pasteur effect has been demonstrated. The rate of alcohol fermentation is reduced under anaerobic conditions and stimulated by the presence atmospheric oxygen. The fermentation rate is also sensitive to alkali concentrations. A heavily potassium solution will increase the rate of fermentation while increasing sodium will slow the processes. [7]

I'm trying to imagine the first foray into brewing with cellulosic materials....... prehyrolysed with sulfur dioxide........... A whole new avenue for creative brewing..... where Xylose becomes a household word, and various grasses, straw, wood materials, etc become commonplace in beer....

H.W.

The biggest beer I have pitched Brett C into secondary was about og 1.074 and not a stout,but a copper/amber Belgian ale that had Chouffe yeast in primary.
None of the flavours were present.
I got fruit,stone fruit,dried fruit,sour cherry and a little sherbert/mustiness.
Great choice for secondary,but maybe not what you have in mind

Back