Conditioning time on higher gravity beers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two higher gravity malt flavor beers that I am not sure of how long I should let them condition. They are both kegged and stored at 67 F. The first is a Scottish winter warmer ale and the second is a Russian imperial stout. The Scottish wee heavy has been conditioning for about 3 months while the RIS has been in its keg for close to a year. Any ideas on how long I should let these condition or age before putting them in the keezer? I am in no hurry to rush the conditioning but I also don't want to damage the beer by letting it go too long before drinking it.

Uh... start drinking.

Seriously though, almost a year on the RIS? That should be good to go.

I'd hook up the keg and pour a sample... won't hurt anything. If you don't like it, take it off the gas.

OK....I am not a big fan of higher gravity beers and I made these specifically to keep my wife happy. What keeps her happy keeps me brewing. She is a fan of RIS where I have read that some age condition for 1-3 years before drinking.

Back