Conditioning time after stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pm5k00

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale (OG 1.058) using us-05 on 7/30/11 and fermentation had stopped (1.024) by 8/10/11. I used too much crystal. Took readings for 3 days, stirred wort to get yeast back into suspension, waited 2 more days and nothing. I added one crushed tablet of Beano on 8/12 and gravity got down to 1.022, but have taken readings for another 4 days and no more fermentation has taken place. So i pitched a packet of Nottingham and now it is happily fermenting away. My question is since the beer has been in primary for almost 3 weeks now, how long should i let it condition once the Nottingham yeast is done?

If it were me, having NOT been through this situation before, I would treat it as if you had just started the batch with te Nottinghams - I.e. Once fermentation stops again transfer it to secondary and give it a couple weeks. Again, I've never had this issue before, I have double-pitched a wee-heavy before and that's the method I used, but it was a completely different style and only after 8 months of bottle conditioning did it peak as it was a pretty big wee heavy.
I don't think the extra two weeks in secondary will hurt things; I feel like a week too long is better than a week too short.

Back