Conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman551

Reaction score
Hey all, I have been reading a lot on here about bottling trying to find an answer, and was wondering if I could get a quick confirmation. This weekend I plan on bottling my first brew, a stout. Assume that fermentation is complete, confirmed by multiple gravity readings. Once bottled, how long do I condition? And if I let it go for for 3-4 weeks before cold crashing, will I safely avoid bottle bombs? It's a 5gal batch with a standard amount of priming sugar that I'll use. The kit directions say a week per point of OG, which would be about 5weeks. Is that okay as long as I test one every week or so?

Bottle bombs have nothing to do with cold conditioning or the time you leave it in the bottle. Bottle bombs result from there being too much sugar in the bottle for the yeast to eat. That happens when people add too much priming sugar OR don't wait for the initial fermentation to complete.

In terms of the general timeline, a reasonable expectation is that they will be carbed in 3 weeks. Sometimes its faster. Sometimes its slower. Testing ever week is fine, but I'd plan on just waiting 3 weeks before the first test.

From my experience 3 weeks is the magic #. Anything after that will just improve it but I always wait 3 weeks before I even pop one bottle.

I would wait even longer for a stout? Whats your expected ABV%? Seems to take longer for stronger beers.

I usually taste a beer after 2 weeks than 3 and all my beers are good to go maximum after 4 weeks. You will know when they are ready. Just be patient.

Thanks Matho. I think it should be around 5-5 1/2 percent. The OG was 1.052 or so. This weekend will be 3 weeks in primary. I'm going to bottle on Saturday and then wait at least three weeks, listening to advice from experienced folks on here. Patience is a virtue, and a tough one for someone brewing his first batch.

Made a smash session ale for my first brew. Tried a bottle last night after only being in there for 6 days. Had lots of carbonation and tasted good to me! Maybe a little sweet. Hope it dries out a bit more.

Think mine should be 4-4.5 abv.

Thanks Matho. I think it should be around 5-5 1/2 percent. The OG was 1.052 or so. This weekend will be 3 weeks in primary. I'm going to bottle on Saturday and then wait at least three weeks, listening to advice from experienced folks on here. Patience is a virtue, and a tough one for someone brewing his first batch.

Yea 5.5 is not a big beer. 3 weeks and it will be ready for sure.

When the beer reaches a stab;e FG,I like to give it another 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle. 3-4 weeks generally @ 70 or better works well for me. But that's a general rule for carbing & conditioning. Conditioning,in my experience,takes an average of another week past carbonation. Stouts & other bigger beers,or in my experiences,darker ones & oaked with liquor ones can take longer to mellow out. My 1st batch of Whiskely took 10 weeks with 2 weeks fridge time before it was ready.

Back