Condensation in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theNOOB

Reaction score
It is a bad sign if water is beading up on the inside walls of the carboy? Just doesn't seem like this should be happening. I believe the ambient temperature around my fermenter is 74-75, so what is going on?

no worries.

Its just the opposite of a glass of ice water -- warm and damp inside cold glass outside

Dude, if it's not more humid inside your carboy than out, I'd be worried. They say in the maritime cargo business "Hot to cold, vent bold (to drive off condensation); cold to hot, vent not (to prevent condensation)." Essentially, if your wort is a bit warmer than ambient temp, condensate is perfectly normal, though if you were to ventilate the wort, you would have less (though considerably more oxidation, which is a MUCH more significant issue). In short, don't worry about condensation bud, though you may want to look into better temp control.

theNOOB said:
It is a bad sign if water is beading up on the inside walls of the carboy? Just doesn't seem like this should be happening. I believe the ambient temperature around my fermenter is 74-75, so what is going on?

If your estimate is correct, then your wort may be above 80 degrees. If it's a Belgian yeast and/or you're looking to intentionally create strong off-flavors, please ignore this post. Otherwise, you'll be much happier with your results if you ferment your wort in the 60s! A swamp cooler is a low-cost option for temp control, but there are many ways to do it.

Good luck! :)

Back