Condensation coming through exhaust fan housing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanAm

Reaction score
I'm just getting my e-brewing rig set up in the basement, and on my test run water was dripping out between the two halves of the fan housing!

It's the hurricane 745 cfm

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Z1JLN0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Anyone have this happen? My basement is about 65 degrees and it was in the 40's outside. The hood is about 2 feet above the kettle, the fan is mounted to the hood, and there is a reducer at the fan outlet from 8 inches to a 6 inch pipe. That goes 18 inches straight up to a 6 inch 90 degree elbow that goes straight out the wall.

I'm thinking some of the silver duct tape to seal it up, but I'm not sure if the trapped water would damage the fan. I ran the fan for 20 minutes afterward to dry everything out.

Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just getting my e-brewing rig set up in the basement, and on my test run water was dripping out between the two halves of the fan housing!

Any advice?

As I recall. Kal recommends drilling a small drip hole at the bottom most part of the fan housing so this will drain away. The entire purpose off the hood & fan is to draw off condensation laden air, so there's no stopping some of it condensing in your fan.

I have my fan mounted on an exterior wall, outside the house, so I actually don't see any of this with my setup, but I sure see plenty of condensation all over the inside of the hood during the boil.

Thanks for the reply. I did come across that thread, but it doesn't apply to my situation. If the fan is mounted so the air flow is horizontal the condensation could pool there. Good idea for a drain hole. In my setup the air flow is vertical so the lowest point is the fan inlet opening

I like the solution jmark! How many brew hours are on that fan?

To close the loop - what I did was remount the fan at a 15 degree angle and drill a weep hole to let the condensation escape. Hope to test it soon.

Thanks for your help HBT!

Back