Concord fermentation stalled - help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pendragon524

Reaction score
Hello friends! A month ago, I started fermenting a batch of Welch’s Concord grape/cherry juice. The OG was 1.120. I used Fleischmann’s bread yeast, and after checking yesterday, the gravity was at 1.034, so the wine is at this point super sweet. I’m hoping again hope I can encourage the yeast to continue fermenting. However, the bubbling has all but stopped. Now, my question is, is there anything I can do to squeeze out some more points of gravity? I know I made mistakes here; the OG was too high and I probably should have used an actual wine yeast. Nevertheless, anything I can do at this point?

You're currently at about 11.7% ABV -- not sure what the alcohol tolerance of that bread yeast is -- but chance's are you might have reached it.

If you're looking to get a lower FG, you're gonna need to toss another yeast at it with a higher alcohol tolerance.

I tend to use D47 and have had some ciders get into the high 14s...and some ciders/vinos stop in the 12s.

Good Luck.

That is a high SG. What is the potential alcohol? 15%? Maybe higher?

If you're lucky you'll get away with pitching a different yeast but it's gonna taste like rocket fuel.

Back