Concord 80 Quart Stainless Steel Stock Pot Cookware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maida7

Reaction score
I'm doing 12-13 gallon batches in a 15 gallon pot from more beer and it's just a wee bit small. I'd really like a 20 gallon blichmann but I can't afford it.

So...

What do we think of this pot on Amazon?

It's actually 75qts but maybe that's just enough for me. I'd add a weld less valve and thermometer.

Anybody have a concord pot and care to comment? I'm about to pull the trigger. Thumbs up or thumbs down?

I'm doing 12-13 gallon batches in a 15 gallon pot from more beer and it's just a wee bit small. I'd really like a 20 gallon blichmann but I can't afford it.

So...

What do we think of this pot on Amazon?

It's actually 75qts but maybe that's just enough for me. I'd add a weld less valve and thermometer.

Anybody have a concord pot and care to comment? I'm about to pull the trigger. Thumbs up or thumbs down?

You forgot the link bub.

I kicked around getting a stainless kettle also. In the end I went with this aluminum kettle. It's not near as pretty but I had less than 120 in it by doing all the weldless fittings myself. It ended up being a pretty thick walled kettle and I am very happy with it. It allowed me to spend that additional 2-300 dollars I would have spent on a top line stainless on more homebrew equipment

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of those thick wall aluminum stock pots (60qt) that I use as my HLT. Works great but I prefer stainless for the brew kettle. I like that I can scrub the stainless pot after every brew. I'm pretty anal about cleaning.

Yes I have the 15 gallon ss concord kettle. Got it delivered to my door for $95. I could not be happier. I have done probably 15 batches in it and it is just great. I added a weldless ball valve. I don't think I could justify spending more money.

I have 2 concord 80's. They are just fine pots. One is a eHLT with herms coil and sight gauge and the other will be a eBK that I'll finish up this weekend after I solder in my 2" TC fitting today for the element.

I wouldn't lift them by the handles when full.

Cheers.

BSD

If it is good enough for Spike to put their name on it then go for it, I have seen their kettles and they are top notch.

Reviving an old thread! I've been looking at the Concord pots on Amazon - great price for a SS kettle! However, some of the reviews for the 100 qt and 80 qt mention pin holes in the pot after several uses. Curious if anyone here has seen the same issues?

I just purchased their tri-ply 80 qt pot, and it is awesome. It's a monster! I haven't used it yet, as I need to install some hardware on it. But, it is quite heavy duty compared to other kettles I've seen in this price range.

Good to hear! Did you buy it from Amazon?

I just purchased their tri-ply 80 qt pot, and it is awesome. It's a monster! I haven't used it yet, as I need to install some hardware on it. But, it is quite heavy duty compared to other kettles I've seen in this price range.

I use the 80 qt as a brew kettle. I installed a valve and thermometer. It works great and makes fantastic beer. There is some pitting and machine marks but they have no effect on the performance of the pot.

Good to hear! Did you buy it from Amazon?

Actually, they are located not too far from our home so I was able to visit them to view different kettle options. I also briefly viewed the standard kettles, and while built with thinner stainless, they also look quite heftily built. Overall, I think they offer some very nice kettles, especially for the price.

I can't seem to find their website. Do you happen to have a link to their store? All the pots I've seen online are the standared kettles. I haven't seen any try-ply ones.

Does anyone have a factory website for Concord? They have multiple different pots for many sizes, maybe just with different lids, but the dimensions listed seem inconsistent. I'm interested in the 15 gal/60 qt, and none of the ebay listings show the same dimensions as spikebrewing.

Also, are the basic 1mm pots really manufactured in the US? One of their higher end tri-clad pots shows a Concord USA stamp in the bottom, but it seems doubtful that these economical pots would also be.

I'm interested in the 15 gal/60 qt, and none of the ebay listings show the same dimensions as spikebrewing.

The OP mentioned that the 80 quart pot is actually 75 quarts. SpikeBrewing replied, saying that their version is actually 80 quarts because they have the manufacturer add some height to theirs. So if the same is true for the 60 quart model you won't find other Concord pots with the dimensions that Spike lists on their website.

In looking into these pots, too, except the 80 quart version so I can maybe do double biab batches. I'm having trouble committing, though...expensive.

The OP mentioned that the 80 quart pot is actually 75 quarts. SpikeBrewing replied, saying that their version is actually 80 quarts because they have the manufacturer add some height to theirs. So if the same is true for the 60 quart model you won't find other Concord pots with the dimensions that Spike lists on their website.
Yes, I have seen the comments, although I think Concord has now corrected that. They actually list the 60qt pot with flat lid, which also appears to be the same one as available with the poorly placed holes already drilled, as 17Dx18H; concordcookware responded to me that the actual volume was ~64qt. Both SpikeBrewing & Concord list the 80qt as 18DX19H.
In looking into these pots, too, except the 80 quart version so I can maybe do double biab batches. I'm having trouble committing, though...expensive.
I'm in exactly the same boat, but the pots are just so damn big. However, if you think this is expensive, you haven't been looking at a decent SS pot; this is about as inexpensive as you'll find for something other than a true economy kettle. If you're looking for a real bargain for perhaps the lowest cost (lower grade 18/0 410) SS pot, then search for "Jarhill" in these forums. They currently offer only a set of 4 pots, but have had different options in the past - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-sets-.../261262223538?pt=Cookware&hash=item3cd47128b2.

...if you think this is expensive, you haven't been looking at a decent SS pot; this is about as inexpensive as you'll find for something other than a true economy kettle.

Certainly not looking for an economy kettle. Thanks for the link, though. I have a borrowed set of economy ones now and I'm really looking to upgrade. You get what you pay for with this stuff but every equipment purchase is a long (ish) term investment and I tend to dwell on these decisions way too long so that I'm not buying something I'll want to upgrade within a year or two. All that said, I think this might be the kettle I'm looking for. I'll be adding a ball valve and maybe a thermometer so I want something solid that can easily handle the welds.

I got the 60 qt pot, pre-drilled and just added a dip tube, valve and thermometer to it. One thing I didn't know or even consider was that in spite of the dip tube, the bulkhead is 4" from the bottom making it impossible to get all wort out of the pot without tipping it. I learned that yesterday. I don't think there is a fix to this unless I find someone who wants to weld the hole shut and re-drill another hole about 2" above the bottom.

Did anyone buy these pre-drilled? If so, how are you getting the wort out once the wort falls below the bulkhead?

I was thinking if I just deal with it for now then I'll eventually go to a single tier system and in that case, I'll have pumps and that'll take care of the issue since the dip tube does hit the bottom (and swivels).

If your dip tube has one leg longer than the other, trim the long leg to reach the bottom of the pot and put the short leg into the compression fitting.

BSD

All the Concord pots are 10% off through today (perhaps PST), so I bit the bullet and opted for the higher grade 80qt 1.2mm 18/10 with the 3-ply bottom. It also comes with the steamer insert. Sale price was ~$160 shipped - http://www.ebay.com/itm/190881723832. The standard 80qt 1mm 18/8 pot is ~$102 shipped. Most of the recommendations for BIAB at http://www.biabrewer.info is to not install all the typical accessories such as ball valve, thermometer, or possibly sight glass. So if I don't add the cost of all these mods, I figured I could splurge on a pot that's guaranteed to last. I can still make the mods later as I see fit.

cbier60,

Does the heavy duty version of the pot hold exactly 80 quarts? What are the internal dimensions?

Looks like the higher SS quality and slightly thicker wall might be worth the price difference compared with the lighter grade version.

Hey. Did you take exact measurements?
Yes, I did. I believe that my measurements were accurate to within ~1/32".
I just emailed Concord a few weeks ago, and they said that the tri-ply pot is
17.8" D X 17.5" H, which is less than 20 gallons. Did you buy this one?:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5MFKNE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I think that's the same one I bought, although I bought it through eBay. Before I bought mine, Concord had multiple listings with conflicting dimension info. I also asked them via eBay about the dimensions, and their reply was less than satisfactory. I doubt that they have changed their tooling, so I'd say that I'd trust my dimensions over what they told you. Obviously, I can't guarantee that you will receive the same, but you probably will. It's a great quality pot for the price. Good luck.

It looks very solid. I think 19 gals would be ok anyway if it is a bit short. I'm surprised he told me a different number. maybe the pots vary a lot, or maybe he was sloppy in his measurements. thanks!

Back