Concerns from a Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdogchip

Reaction score
Yesterday, Aug 22, I started my first batch ever!!! I used a Brewer's Best German Oktoberfest kit. All went well however, today I have some concerns.
1) The fermenter temperature has risen to 79. Is this a valid concern or do I need to take some action?
2) The instructions with Brewers Best said, "Sprinkle the yeast packet on top of the wort and stir." However, the instructions on the Nottingham yeast packet said to activate the yeast with warm water. Concern?
The air lock is working fine and bubbling well. Fermentation started approx. 10 hours after everything was sealed. And I did note that the starting gravity was off. The instructions said, SG 1.052-1.055. My reading was 1.042 at 75 degrees.
Have I messed this up completely or should I continue to let it complete the frementing cycle?
Thanks ahead for all your imput and help!!!
Shipdogchip

70f will throw off the hydrometer slightly. I think your true OG is 1.043 adjusted.

#2 is of no concern. you have airlock activity, so the yeast was hydrated properly and is active.

#1 is the real issue. at 79F, you're producing esters and fusel alcohols. The esters will give off flavors and aromas, namely 'fruitiness' described in terms of 'banana' and 'juicy fruit gum'.
The fusels will impart a 'buttery' flavor that I believe can age out over many months of storage.

You really need to lower teh fermenter to a max temp of 70F. holding 60-68F is gonna be a lot better for your beer.
Do searches for 'swamp cooler' or check out the link in my sig for a cheap cooling idea, IF you have central a/c and vents near/on the floor where you ferment.

What he said.

I would recommend throwing a wet towel or t-shirt over the fermenter ASAP as a start at getting the temp down. Place a fan in front of it and it'll cool down more. A swamp cooler is the best of the cheap alternatives and something you will need if you want to brew in the summer without a means of temp control.

I really appreciate both your responses. My mind is at ease now. Today (Aug. 27) I did a gravity check. FG 1.012 all is well. Bottling day is this Wed. 29th. I sipped on about 4oz, just to check for any "off flavors." FANTASTIC!!! Still a little cloudy and flat but this promises to be something I'll enjoy. Nice aroma...nice bitter bite but not overpowering. It's really going to be hard to wait another 5 weeks for this to finish.
Again...thank you both for your time and help!!!
My first bottle will be a toast in your honour!!!
Salute

what kind of beer is this? 7 days is the minimum for primary.

I would highly recommend a secondary for 2 weeks to let the beer clear...THEN bottle.

either way, do NOT bottle until you have 3 days of consistent hydrometer readings. I will say that 1.012 is probably about it, but it could still drop a couple points.

This is the Brewer's Best German Oktoberfest kit. The instructions state..."Bubbling will slow down significantly then stop completely after 3-7 days. When bubbling has stopped, remove the lid, sanatize a hydrometer and take the FG reading. If the reading matches the FG reading for your recipe, go to step H, Bottling.
The FG reading for this is 1.012-1.015. It was 1.012 on Monday. Before bottling on Wednesday I plan to take another reading just to be sure. If it matches, I planned to bottle.
Guide the young neophyte, oh Sage of Wisdom. Enlighten me with your profound knowledge. Bottle or not?
Thanks for your advice.
Skip

Ok, it would indeed be safe to bottle on wednesday if the gravity is still 1.012. honestly I'd still put it through a secondary to let it clear. the yeast is not gonna lose its ability to carbonate once you bottle.

then again, its your first homebrew right? it can be hard to be patient, so if you just can't stand it, bottle wednesday, wait 3 weeks to drink, and know that while it'll likely be a good beer, it mighta been a little better with a secondary.

its all a progression really. I took an 8 year break from brewing, and just got back into it in June with an extract kit. Four batches later and I just did my first All Grain batch and don't plan to extract brew ever again if I can help it.

Go with what feels right :)

I would say not to... clarity aside the beer needs to age a bit.
1 week in the primary
2 weeks in the secondary
3 weeks in the bottles
1-2-3 is the way to go however it is hard to wait especially when you are first getting started.
(my 2 cents)

I would wait for two weeks. No sage of wisdom here though. Just another noob who reads this forum alot. This Fridays batch will be #20 maybe. Keep reading here... these guys are good!

I honestly appreciate all the advice and help. It is hard to wait, no doubt!! However, considering this is my first and many of you have been doing this for years, I have decided to rack this to the bottling bucket and let it sit for another week, as suggested by the masses. It's going to kill me...but I'll do it.
Again, I thank all who have responded so quickly. Rest assured that I will keep you posted as to my progress.
Salute,
Skip

Hi Skip, I was wondering, did your kit include the 4oz, crushed Crystal Malt 20L? I brewed the same kit about 3 weeks ago and it did not include that. I brewed it anyway.

Did you follow the directions EXACTLY as printed? If so, did you bottle after ONE week of fermenting or did you use a secondary fermenter? Honestly, I'm very concerned. I don't want to spend 6 weeks plus just to make horse whiz. I can drink Coors and be just as happy.
Hope all is well
Salute
Skip

If you bottle it after 5-7 days and taste after a week in the bottle you will have beer. Probably pretty decent beer. However if you can leave it age/clear for a week or 2 in a secondary, or even just let it sit in the primary for 2-3 weeks, then bottle and taste after 3 weeks in the bottle, chances are you will have better beer and maybe even great beer.

My suggestion is buy some decent craft brews and as soon as you bottle this batch start your second batch. Or even better get another bucket and have two batches going at the same time. Once you get a decent stock of home brew built up it is easier to have patience. However one thing I have learned is making fermented beverages takes patience.

Craig

Latest posts

Back