Concerning double potching dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dershbrew

Reaction score
I plan on brewing Janet's brown ale this weekend but wanted to use dry yeast so I wouldn't have to make a starter. I'm going with the safale us-05. Og is projected to be between 1065 and 1070. Mr malty says to pitch an extra 2 grams of yeast. Should I measure out the 2 grams, pitch a whole 2nd package, or stay with one?

dershbrew said:
I plan on brewing Janet's brown ale this weekend but wanted to use dry yeast so I wouldn't have to make a starter. I'm going with the safale us-05. Og is projected to be between 1065 and 1070. Mr malty says to pitch an extra 2 grams of yeast. Should I measure out the 2 grams, pitch a whole 2nd package, or stay with one?

Avoiding under pitching is pretty important. I had a beer recently where I believe a combination of under pitching us-05 and pitching at around 75 degrees (I should have known better) caused fusels and Belgian yeast like characteristics. If I had a proper pitch it may have been ok but the stressed yeast and early temperatures in the upper end of the yeasts recommended range during cell reproduction made a beer I'd rather not drink ( I'm gonna give it a few months and see if it improves.

That being said you also want to avoid over pitching as well because too many dead yeast cells can cause autolysis which will make an even more offensive beer. It is much harder to over pitch than it is to under pitch though so I would imagine you would be fine pitching 2 packs to make sure you have a good pitch. I wouldn't measure out 2 grams because getting it that perfect is not necessary. I would probably just estimate about half of the extra pack, that will be more than 2 grams but it could account for some loss in yeast viability because you are never going to have 100% viability.

Make sure you properly rehydrate it according to the manufacturers recommendations. I have heard that dry yeast viability can drop to 50% when it's pitched directly into the wort. Properly rehydrated yeast will retain a very high percentage of viable cells assuming it is a relatively fresh pack of yeast.

so your question is, can you pitch 11 grams when mrmalty says you need 13?

one pack is close enough. it's a small under-pitch. people have problems when they pitch only half as much yeast as required, not 15% less like in your case. you might get a hint more yeast flavors because of the extra growth required, luckily 05 is really neutral and won't throw many flavors anyways.

be sure to oxygenate properly and use a yeast nutrient, so the yeast have the building blocks required to reproduce.

Yeah now that I think of it you are probably fine with one pack as long as it is properly rehydrated. Just make sure all other factors that can play into stressing yeast are optimal. Put some sanitized foil over the carboy hole or if its a bucket attach the lid loosely so that air can still flow in and swirl it around vigorously to make sure the wort is well oxygenated for cell reproduction. Also make sure the beer is down to the 65-68 degree temperature range before pitching and don't let it get above 70 after pitching.

I usually use 2 packets of yeast when the SG is over 1.060, I've pitched 2 packets of safale us-05 and have made some awesome beer!
I agree 100% about not under pitching, I'd rather have a healthy fermentation than a stressed yeast during fermentation.
Another member had something like this as his signature: Happy Yeast= Happy fermentation = Tasty beer!

One pack will work fine. It's not worth opening a second pack.

Definitely rehydrate prior to pitching.

Exactly, follow the re-hydration instructions to a T. I've made many 1.060-1.070 beers using S-05 and one re-hydrated packet has always been enough.

Now would the beer be better over-pitched (+85%) than slightly under-pitched (-15%)? I've wondered about that myself. Hmm, anyone?

My take:
All these yeast calculations are still loose approximations based on wild estimates of how many live yeast cells one can expect in a vial or packet of store bought yeast, or that jar in the fridge...

I have done 5 batches of Janet now, 4 pitching 1 pack of 05, the most recent (3 weeks ago) pitching 2 just for curiosities sake, and b/c I had an extra pack that was getting a little long in the tooth. Did notice a quicker ferment (was done in about 3 days) with the double pitch, and a little extra time to settle out, but other than that, not much difference. I think you would be fine either way.

My take:
All these yeast calculations are still loose approximations based on wild estimates of how many live yeast cells one can expect in a vial or packet of store bought yeast, or that jar in the fridge...

I agree. I always make as much effort as possible to pitch the right amount of yeast but there are a lot of variables that go into that equation, some of which I have no way of knowing without expensive lab equipment.

I'd potch one pack. Yeast potching calculators are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. You aren't under potching by much. S-O5 is a reliable fermenter and doesn't seem to mind a slight under potch. If it was above 8%, I'd potch two packs.

Potch is a real word. It's Yiddish slang for spank and Austral slang for an inferior quality opal used in jewellery for mounting precious opals. I learn something new every day!

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help. I've been reading rave reviews about this beer and am pumped to try it out. I think I'll just pitch the one and go from there.

Back