Concentrate still cloudy! HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanCook

Reaction score
So I did a 3gal strawberry frozen concentrate recipe
starting with a SG of 1.090
then added
nutrient
acid blend
pectic enzyme
crushed campdon tab
and energizer
Then in 1/4C warm water hydrated the Montrachet yeast waited ten min and pitched

It took longer than the 7 days of primary to get to 1.040. when I did get there few days later I racked. after 3 weeks in secondary it should have been racked again but I didn't because it was still fermenting so i waited till it had all but finished. my concern is that its still very cloudy.. my question is do I add anything to help with clearing. I have Bentonite and Potassium Sorbate or Sparkolloid not sure if either will do anything. this is my last chance at a recipe.. I have poured out 2 previous tries and the miss's said no more if this fails, back to kits only.. please any info will be appreciated..
Thank you

My kits are put in secondary a sulfate and sorbate are mixed in, it is degassed then use Kieselsol and Chitosan added in that order as clearing agents. I have never tried any wines that are not kits.

Hurry up and wait. Wine can not be hurried. Kits are made to be fast. Non kit wines take longer. Most wine made from real fruit or juice takes up to six months to clear. Some take longer.
If you must hurry this one along I would use super klear. It does a faboulos job, very quickly. I have not used sparkloid, but it takes longer to work from what I understand.
You can also try degassing it. Most wines do that on their own over several months. Again, you can hurry it along, sometimes.
Do not dump it!! Just wait:).

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Just rack it without any finings right now, and once it's completely finished it should start to clear. After a few weeks, you can place it somewhere colder, and it should clear the rest of the way.

thank you guys ill just keep racking it and let it take its sweet time.. i'm starting to think the montrachet yeast i used was a poor choose samples are dry and seem to be getting dryer after it clear what can i do?

thank you guys ill just keep racking it and let it take its sweet time.. i'm starting to think the montrachet yeast i used was a poor choose samples are dry and seem to be getting dryer after it clear what can i do?

If it's getting drier, that means it isn't done. Once it's done fermenting, and totally clear, and no longer dropping lees after at least 60 days, you can stabilize the wine and then sweeten as desired.

Wine yeast will take just about any wine/mead/cider dry. That's the idea. It should finish at .990-.994 or thereabouts when it's done.

Back