Concealed Carry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In South Africa we have to carry concealed by law (LEO excluded obviously).
I carry a Glock 27 in a kydex IWB holster loaded with Spear Gold Dot 165gr and spare mag.
Im about to have my sites upgraded - probably trijicon.
Trouble with the sub-compact Glocks is you can't easily fit a tac light.

1-28-11 049.jpg

Kahr PM9 in a DeSantis Nemisis front pocket holster.

Either a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster, or a Glock 36 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, unless I'm drinking or at work.

SWMBO just took her CCW class a few months back, and is currently drooling over a Sig p232.

Glock 32 357 SIG with a modified 3.5 lb trigger and XS sights.

I love the power/size ratio of the 357 SIG round but it's a bit much for a compact. Practice rounds sting the hand a bit.

I carry full size 1911's in .45 cal. I have a Little Bear custom inside the waistband, wide platform holster that is very comfortable. Here in Maine it's not very difficult to get a permit. Prior military doesn't need a cc training course.

BlackForestBrewery said:
Shoot what your comfortable with bro. No shame in that. If you can put more 9mm rounds on target comfortably then go with that. I grew up shooting my pops old Smith/Wesson 357. mag, so for a while I carried that even though it was terribly heavy (for a concealed handgun). I have a Beretta 92fs (9mm) that I carry once in a while also because it's just so comfortable to shoot.

I have a 92fs also. I love it. I need to get something smaller to carry. I'm looking at an XD by Springfield.

This thread inspired me to do a little research on NJ CCW laws. Ugh is all I can say. We're a "may issue" state that has you submitting your request to the local police chief of the nearest state police office if your township doesn't have its own police force.

The form is standard, but they have a little provision that requires you to submit a separate narrative sheet explaining why you need a CCW. So what do you guys think are my odds of getting the permit? Is it worth wasting $20 trying?

I think that my narrative explaining my need will just be a printout of the 2nd amendment...

This thread inspired me to do a little research on NJ CCW laws. Ugh is all I can say. We're a "may issue" state that has you submitting your request to the local police chief of the nearest state police office if your township doesn't have its own police force.

The form is standard, but they have a little provision that requires you to submit a separate narrative sheet explaining why you need a CCW. So what do you guys think are my odds of getting the permit? Is it worth wasting $20 trying?

I think that my narrative explaining my need will just be a printout of the 2nd amendment...

Don't do it Brother. Unless you have a connection or carry thousands of dollars for work you will get denied. The problem is once your denied you have to put that on any future requests for a carry permit in any state. Out of the millions of people in NJ there are only 1200 ccw permits (this includes retired LEO). This state is so backwards when it comes to the 2nd amendment.

Mischief, it is a total waste of time, you will never be issued one in NJ unless you're Christie's nephew. Lots of web info out there regarding this.

I just bought a new Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe Holster. I'll post up some pics when it gets here. It's made by hand so its not a holster that gets to you very quickly, but the wait is well worth it.

My father used to always tell me an armed society is a polite society. You would be less willing to flip off the guy that just cut you off if you knew they were armed, just like you would be less likely to cut that guy off if you knew he was armed, too. But I was born Texan, so that might have had something to do with it. :D He was also a proponent of giving everyone that boarded a plane a gun. That would have probably made 9/11 turn out a little different...

SWMBO and myself are both licensed. I carry a XD 45 and she carries either her XD 9mm sub compact or a Taurus .380 Ultra light. The Taurus is just about useless but the 5 bullets weigh more than the gun itself so it makes for a really good daily carrier. I have a Glock 36 that I bought for CC but rarely carry it due to it having a tendency to jam. The XD's have yet to let me down and I have sent thousands of rounds downrange with them. Can't say enough good things about the XD's...

Here in Georgia getting a CCP is really easy. $44 and its good for 8 years. I lived most of my life in Florida and, while not as painful as the Northeasterners here, it was a pain. See, there are advantages to living in a hick state!! :DD

I have to say I am a little surprised there haven't been any flames or people espousing the evils of firearms in this thread. I knew people who like beer are good people. :mug:

Just picked up the Kel-tec 3AT today. No, I don't carry the Ruger MKIII; just a pic :). Actually I just did the course here last week and sent in the paperwork so now I wait. UT and MN gets me (I think) 33 states with reciprocity.

2011-02-11_20-37-55_693.jpg

So, question is do I want an XD 40 or Glock 27 next. Ready, fight! ;). I'll probably shoot both and see which I prefer.

OK here's my drunken ramble:

Go take your macho selves and your guns, concealed or otherwise, and volunteer at a food bank. Or join the pro Mubarak thugs and get yourselves to Egypt to beat up some peaceful non gun wielding protesters. Or, better, quit polluting the world with your arrogant pseudo-violent pecker contests and finally realize that you are just pathetically living out your comic book fantasies and at the same time f0cking up the universe, and the lives of decent empathic caring people with your juvenile insistence that you need to be armed. For what Communists? Brown people? Atheists? Democrats?

IMHO

Steve da sleeve

Living in Illinois sucks for so many reasons!

glenn514:mug:

Amen to that brother... I believe just us and Wisconsin is the only states that don't have some sort of conceal carry law. But looks like Wisconsin is going to have theirs soon. Blame it on Chicago. They don't care about anyone below I80!

Go take your macho selves and your guns, concealed or otherwise, and volunteer at a food bank. Or join the pro Mubarak thugs and get yourselves to Egypt to beat up some peaceful non gun wielding protesters. Or, better, quit polluting the world with your arrogant pseudo-violent pecker contests and finally realize that you are just pathetically living out your comic book fantasies and at the same time f0cking up the universe, and the lives of decent empathic caring people with your juvenile insistence that you need to be armed. For what Communists? Brown people? Atheists? Democrats?

IMHO

Steve da sleeve

Was that really necessary? What the **** crawled up your ass and died? Seriously man.

IMHO

Steve da sleeve

I give a lot to charities; I help out the "poor"; I don't shoot people; I help people; and I choose to own some guns.

102876212x.jpg

Or maybe the restraining order I had to take out on someone who threatened my life that put things into a new perspective. But, to each his own.

IMHO

Steve da sleeve

Can't. Mubarak stepped down.

Dang.

IMHO

Steve da sleeve

Its my right to own and fire my gun. Its also your right to to free speech. Thats why you live in OUR country. Its also your right to move somewhere else. Silly Liberal, you want all sorts of freedoms but want to limit others when they don't suit your beliefs.

I got a CCW in Alabama shortly after turning 21, it may have been the easiest government process I went through in Alabama. My only handgun was a piece of crap hi-point 9mm.
I carry on credentials now, but leave my weapon at home way more often than I did in the past.

Read the link below Steve. Those who actually can carry legally know more about the liability of that right than the casual gun owner who does not have a license to do so. Hence the reason most states require specific courses to be completed to obtain said license. So, if by chance you had an issue, decided to buy a firearm and; depending on which state you live in you actually thought you had to defend yourself and you didn't know the laws, you're likely to be heading off to jail for 2nd degree murder. Even in your own residence (varies by state).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry_in_the_United_States#Legal_liability

Not trying to change your opinion, just educate.

So, question is do I want an XD 40 or Glock 27 next. Ready, fight! ;). I'll probably shoot both and see which I prefer.

I prefer Springfield's XD's to Glocks. The cant on glock grips is so much more than what I'm used to that I worry that my first shot out of the holster with a glock would be a good 20 feet too high.

Ya well this is in the Drunken Rambling thread right?! So consider me rambling. I sort of apologize for my ramble... just celebrating the new Egypt and reacting to the tactics of the old one. I am half Egyptian by blood.

Cheers to Democracy and young idealists and the power of peaceful protest and courage in the face of guns and violence and oppression, and cheers to a new world, and a revolution sparked by the desperate act of one young Tunisian.

Ya well this is in the Drunken Rambling thread right?! So consider me rambling. I sort of apologize for my ramble... just celebrating the new Egypt and reacting to the tactics of the old one. I am half Egyptian by blood.

Cheers to Democracy and young idealists and the power of peaceful protest and courage in the face of guns and violence and oppression, and cheers to a new world, and a revolution sparked by the desperate act of one young Tunisian.

So cheers to a revolution that results in a military take-over?

I hope for the best; but to celebrate a military take-over scares me....

The military has said that they are intervening only to restore order, and to help in establishing a democratic process.

Whether that actually happens, or it becomes an actual military rule remains to be seen.

IMHO

Steve da sleeve

Ignorance is bliss I suppose... You have it all ass-backwards. Those with CCW carry to protect themselves from those "thugs" who think they are hard with guns. Thugs and criminals don't care about the law, keep that in mind. They will always have weapons and try to take advantage of peaceful citizens.

Now, why don't YOU go live in a shady area with crime and tell me you wouldn't feel safer having a gun on you. Oh, and don't turn it around saying "we'll just don't live in a shady area". Not everyone can live in a nice neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back