Conan yeast strangeness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanm8

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got back into brewing after a long hiatus. I just did my second NEIPA using Gigayeast's Conan strain.

The first time I used it, I didn't make a starter and it had a long lag phase of about 4 days. I noticed the yeast were hanging around on the bottom, although not quite completely settled down there like when after fermentation is done. I decided to rouse it a bit and raised the temp from 67 - > 69. Shortly after that, it went crazy and finished my beer off at 1.010.

I harvested that yeast and used it in this new batch. This time I made a 32oz starter. I pitched the starter 2 days later and it was actively bubbling on top almost immediately (but not like when at high krausen). This slowed down over the next 24 hours, and after 48 hours the yeast dropped again like in my first batch. I thought for sure this time it would kick into overdrive and finish the beer quickly, instead of slowing down. Temp is at 67.

Everyone seems to be saying how Conan starts fast and finishes quickly. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm not sure what I can do to get it going quicker. I just did a massive imperial stout before this using WLP002 and it blasted through it from 1.120 -> 1.030 in only 5 days. I've never seen yeast settle to the bottom before fermentation kicks in like Conan is doing.

Ramp the temp up. Start out at 70 and raise to 73-74 within 48 hrs. Conan loves this temp range. Peachyness abounds here.

For me, first gen conan can act very strange, big lags, etc
Following gens are gangbusters
I'd bet your beer is done. Have you checked gravity?
I've had a 1060 beer get near FG with an active starter in 36 hours with 2+ gen Conan.
You can seriously miss high krausen if you have a long work day.

Jwin, you are right on the money. I measured the gravity yesterday and it was 1.010!! Amazing. I was expecting it to slowly kick in like the first generation, but it must have finished in the first 48 hours. Insane.

Jwin, you are right on the money. I measured the gravity yesterday and it was 1.010!! Amazing. I was expecting it to slowly kick in like the first generation, but it must have finished in the first 48 hours. Insane.

All the good thing ng you heard about Conan being fast are true.
Just not on the first generation for some reason.
Fwiw, using a vitality starter helps with the first gen lag.

Latest posts

Back