Complete Conversion/Substitution Chart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxtool5

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm relatively new to brewing, but comfortable enough to start experimenting & moving away from liquid extract. I live in a city that's getting better but known for not having the greatest selection of ingredients. I'd like (or need) to start altering recipes I find, to include ingredients that are available to me. I hope someone can point me towards a thorough conversion/substitution chart. It's easy enough to substitute liquid to dry extract, corn sugar to malt extract & plenty of recipes include possible substitutions...I've just found it hard to get all the info. I'm looking for in one place. I'm trying create recipes with the DME I just bought (Light, Amber, Dark & Wheat)
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

One thing that may help a lot is to scour the recipe section of this site. The link is at the top of the page.

There are a ton of good recipes there. You can read them and after a while you will get a good grasp on what works and what doesn't

When I first started I did a kit (extract with steeping grains) for my first brew. My second brew was a recipe from the recipe section, and it turned out great. By my third brew I was already making up recipes.

I still do extract with steeping grains or mini mash recipes because of the limitation of time and equipment.

Other things to consider.

Get some brewing software. This makes changing recipes or making your own very easy. They all offer free trials so try a couple to find what you like best. Worth every penny.

Figure out a good way to control temps for the yeast you are using. That is a very big part of making good brews. It could be as simple as a swamp cooler or something more complicated.

Learn to make a starter and pitch plenty of healthy yeast. This really will help you make better beer.

Enjoy the hobby/addiction.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check 'em out. I bottled 42L yesterday & realized it's time to progress. I know I learn "differently" than others, hands on experience is a must & I find it hard to follow recipes/instructions ( even harder when certain ingredients aren't available to me). I'll be brewing with 100% DME for my next stage of learning and though I do care about drinkability, it's not about brewing the perfect beer right now, it's about discovering my tastes, what I like & what I can do with what's available to me. As mentioned, some conversions and substitutions can be found, I've just been lazy and suffering "newbie" jitters, so I'm reluctant to commit and potentially spoil my next brew...

Latest posts

Back