Competiion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eko

Reaction score
I'm considering entering my first competition. When you submit a beer a few days or a week ahead of the judging date, do they stick them in a fridge?

I don't want to put my beer through a couple rounds of temperature swings. So I was wondering, do you ever chill your beers before a competition? Or do you just take bottle aged beers and submit them without ever putting them in a fridge?

I'm considering entering my first competition. When you submit a beer a few days or a week ahead of the judging date, do they stick them in a fridge?

I don't want to put my beer through a couple rounds of temperature swings. So I was wondering, do you ever chill your beers before a competition? Or do you just take bottle aged beers and submit them without ever putting them in a fridge?

It depends on the competition. Many store entries cold, but some do not. You can always contact the competition organizer and ask.

I assume that the entries will NOT be refrigerated.

If my entry has been bottle conditioned i just pull the bottles out of storage. If I am bottling a kegged beer I do so are the latest possible date and keep the bottle in a cooler as long as I can.

Temp swings are to be avoided as much as possible, of course, but I well made beer should be able to handle it reasonably well.

wait really? they aren't chilled at some competitions? How can they judge how "to style" your IPA is if its sitting at 65F? Plus wouldnt that lead to a lot of foaming?

In the comps I entered, my beers and the rest were put in a foam cooler the day of to get them cool for judging. Beforehand though, I couldn't tell you but I doubt it. Temp controlled room is near certain but I doubt it's chilled.

I have never entered a competition, but I would stay away from any one of them that would not refrigerate the beer as soon as it arrives. The judging is supposed to be of your beer, not the handling of the beer after submission.

Some people say that temperature swings don't produce any noticeable taste differences in beer. However extreme heat, like inside your car on a summer day, will ruin your beer.
This post calls temperature swing damage a "myth".

http://thefourfirkins.com/news/news-detail.php?id=6904

I suppose someone may someday do an experiment about temperature fluctuations and
include a blind taste test. In the meantime, I cellar the beer in my actual cellar and put it in the fridge until I drink it. Cheers!

I suppose someone may someday do an experiment about temperature fluctuations and
include a blind taste test. In the meantime, I cellar the beer in my actual cellar and put it in the fridge until I drink it. Cheers!

Basic brewing did that. No clue what episode though.

I would at very least chill it a couple days before shipping. Get the sediment crashed out and compacted as best you can. It's still going to be turbid as heck when it gets there. The beer I'm entering into a hand deliver comp on Monday has been in my fridge since last Wednesday. I don't even trust myself.

They better chill comp beers, if they don't they have no idea what they're actually judging.

wait really? they aren't chilled at some competitions? How can they judge how "to style" your IPA is if its sitting at 65F? Plus wouldn't that lead to a lot of foaming?

The beers are cooled for judging, but I can't think of a competition I've judged where the entries aren't sorted in crates on the floor before then.

It is a matter of practicality. a competition could have 100 to 1000 entries times two or three bottles per entries - that's a lot of beer! Any place that would have a cooler that big would be have it filled already with food or whatever.

I assume they will not be stored cold. Here's what I do for competitions:

After fermentation has completed (3 weeks), I rack the beer to a keg and put it on CO2 in the fridge. Over the next 2-3 weeks, it carbonates and clears. If it's a style that calls for exceptional clarity, or a low-flocculating yeast, I'll hit it with some gelatin after the first couple of days in the fridge. The beer is now cold, clear, and carbonated.

The weekend before the competition deadline (deadlines always seem to be on a Friday or Saturday), I'll bottle up my entries using Biermuncher's bottling cane and stopper. I package everything up securely in a cardboard box lined with rigid Styrofoam, edges sealed with vapour-barrier tape like TuckTape, all contained in a garbage bag within the box to prevent leaks. The entry labels go in individual Ziplock sandwich bags, attached to the bottles with rubber bands (2 each, in case one breaks). Each bottle and entry are then individually wrapped in bubble wrap. The bottles are then packed in the Styrofoam container inside the box, empty space around the necks is packed with crumpled up newspaper to prevent the bottles from moving around. The bottles are still cold at this point. The whole box is then sealed up, labeled, and goes into my fridge until Monday.

On Monday, I take the box out of the fridge (note that the beer has been cold the entire time) and ship them. Thanks to the Styrofoam insulation inside the box and the good seal, the bottles will still be cool when they arrive at the competition. So even if they're allowed to warm up, it will only be for a day or two before the actual competition and judging that weekend, ensuring maximum possible freshness.

I contacted the organizer and the beers are placed in a fridge. When it fills up they have access to a walk-in cooler. Thanks for all the feedback. Especially the shipping advice. Shipping seems like a lot of work, but maybe something I'll do next time around. I happened to be driving by the competition city a couple weeks before the competition, so I left the bottles with a friend in that area who promised to take them to the drop-off spot and not to drink them that very night...

I was told that at the Kona, Hawai`i contest the beer comes in over a 2=3 week period. At first they are just "stored". A few days before competition they get chilled.

Back