Common methods to raise the ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEUKRAINIAN

Reaction score
All,

Just as the subject states, I have an all grain recipe that I would like to raise the abc slightly, from 4.00 to say 6-8 ABV.

I used I brewmaster and from the new recipe I created, the only way I could raise the ABV of my recipe was to raise the amount of brewers malt from 6.00lb to 12.00lb.

I'm not saying this is an application problem, but I'm looking for common practices on raising the ABV.

Thanks!

Adding corn sugar or DME would do the job. You have to understand that raising the ABV that much will affect the taste and body and none can predict the effects on the beer. You will have to try it. The 2 cheapest ways would be to add corn sugar or get those 6lbs more. It would be better to use grain though.

What I would do is raising the ABV a bit more every time you do the same brew. Go from 4% to 5.5% and then decide if you can put it higher and if you will like it. If so, then go for 7%-8%

Have to ask , how big of a batch are you planning?
In a 5 gallon batch, 6lb LME by itself will yield somewhere around 1.044 OG and 4.5% ABV, depending on the yeast. 12 lb LME will give you a 1.089 OG and 9.1% ABV.
If it's DME you talking about, 6lb will give you about 1.052 and 5.3% ABV. 12 lb DME =1.103 and 10.5%.
Those are drastic changes and your beer will be nothing like the original recipe.
In a 5G batch, adding an additional 1lb LME will give you another 7 points increase in OG, and 1lb DME will give you an additional 9 points. So, I agree with the Math0, go easy.

Rant over.
So, here are other methods to increase OG:
Table sugar, Brown sugar, or any other type of sugar.
I often use honey instead of sugar, when I find my OG is lower than I predicted.
1 lb. honey gives about another 8 points in a 5g batch, without changing the flavor. Added to the boil, it does ferment out almost 100%.
Any sugar (or honey) will lighten up the color and the body, but in low amounts it's not noticeable, at least to me.

JimRausch said:
Have to ask , how big of a batch are you planning? In a 5 gallon batch, 6lb LME by itself will yield somewhere around 1.044 OG and 4.5% ABV, depending on the yeast. 12 lb LME will give you a 1.089 OG and 9.1% ABV. If it's DME you talking about, 6lb will give you about 1.052 and 5.3% ABV. 12 lb DME =1.103 and 10.5%. Those are drastic changes and your beer will be nothing like the original recipe. In a 5G batch, adding an additional 1lb LME will give you another 7 points increase in OG, and 1lb DME will give you an additional 9 points. So, I agree with the Math0, go easy.

I will be planning a 6lb batch. I'm planning a slow tradition in ABV until I see what I really like. The grain way sounds like a good approach. But that would mean a total rewrite in my grain bill.

D**N. I just reread your original post, and saw the mention of 'all grain'. So now I assume when you mentioned 'Brewer's malt' you are talking grain?
Post the recipe, and it will be easier to help out.
Sorry about the rant two posts above.:(

JimRausch said:
D**N. I just reread your original post, and saw the mention of 'all grain'. So now I assume when you mentioned 'Brewer's malt' you are talking grain? Post the recipe, and it will be easier to help out. Sorry about the rant two posts above.:(

Lol. We are all guilty of something. And I thank you for being honest.

Here is the current grain bill.

Brewers malt @ 5.5
Wheat malt dark @4.5
Munich malt @ .5

You could always bring the 5.5lbs of brewers malt to 9lbs. I think it would do the job. If the OG is still not high enough ---> any kind of sugar before pitching the yeast

All,

Just as the subject states, I have an all grain recipe that I would like to raise the abc slightly, from 4.00 to say 6-8 ABV

I wouldn't call doubling the ABV a slight increase, that's a completely different beer. You're going to need to adjust the rest of the recipe in order to do that or it will be way out of balance.

Adding corn sugar to raise a 5% beer to 6% is OK. If you want to up the abv by double you will need to change the recipe. If you add more grains you will start making the malt and hops unbalanced and the beer won't taste the same anymore.

Just for fun while watching Denver beat the Colts, I ran your grain bill plus some alternatives through my brewing software.
With your original grain bill,you should get a 1.058 OG, and with US-05 as an example would yield a 6.0% ABV.
If you up the 2-Row to 7.5lb, the OG would be 1.069, and ABV 7.1%.
Leaving the 2-row at 5.5lb, and adding 1 lb DME = 1.067, 6.8%.
Instead of DME, add 1lb LME= 1.066, 6.7%.
Instead of malt extract, add 1 lb sugar= 1.068,6.9%.
Instead of malt extract, add 1lb honey= 1.065,6.7%.
If you aren't using a recipe software, tryout 'brewtoad.com' It's free, and once you get used to it's quirks, it's quite helpful.
Oops, while I was typing, Indy just scored.

Back