Commercial Scottish Ales in US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
I had a lot of success brewing a Scottish Ale with pumpkin and spices for the fall season. I'm thinking about knocking out the pumpkin and spices, beefing up the recipe with some specialty grains and brewing it a few times in a row to dial in my process (and have a lot of a decently all season beer on hand).

Does anyone know of some good Scottish Ales that would be readily available in the US? It doesn't seem like a very popular style in even the well stocked stores. Just wanted to get some names so I could spot them easier.

I seem to find a lot more scotch ales/wee heavies where I am than moderate-gravity scottish ales. Not that they're not good, certainly, but they're pretty heavy and sweet and not always what I'm looking for - compared to a 60 or 70 shilling which is usually nice and drinkable.

There is a great episode of the Jamil show on the brewing network podcast about scottish ales, you should listen to it if you haven't. I brewed a 70 shilling from his recipe and it came out great.

Yea, I listened to that episode. It is really great. I'm planning somewhere around a 70/- to 80/- based off of his recipe too.

We get a regular supply Belhaven Scottish Ale and their Wee Heavy here in So.Cal.
Moylans out of Novato, Ca. has a very nice Scottish Ale. Not sure how wide their distribution is, but a very nice product if you can find it.
AP

Back