Commercial IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really disappointed with the Harpoons IPA when I tried it in Boston last week.

Agreed. In fact, Harpoon did not impress me much at all when I picked up a variety pack last summer (except for the free beer glasses and tee shirts the distributor was giving away at the time).

kpr121 said:
To me, Hopdevil is a completely unique IPA. With the dry piney/resin taste and smell, it tastes unlike any other. People either love it or hate it. I personally have to be in the mood for it, but when that happens it is some of the best beer for the price you can find.

I am not sure what it was. This bar I was at is more of a cocktail bar some of the beers they had where out of season. I have had many hop devil in my time but it may have been several years tbh. I want to have one on draft now. That should settle it.

One important bit with ipas is their freshness. Often if I buy any commercial beer its because I'm away from home at a liquor store I don't know. Since I'm in CO Titan or Ranger tend to be my goto on the IPA side

Blind Pig is by far my favorite. I am at RRB least twice a week:tank:
Indica is awesome and awesome little brewery to visit.
Racer 5 is awesome and the Bear has really good beer.
Russian River IPA is a good one.
Lagunitas is a great Costco buy for me. Always buy a case when I go.
I thought Torpedo wasn't balanced well? Bought a 22oz and just didn't do it for me? Maybe i'm weird.
I wish I remember the good IPA's I had at the Boonville Beerfest sunday so I can tell ya'll :tank:

Blind Pig is by far my favorite. I am at RRB least twice a week:tank:
Indica is awesome and awesome little brewery to visit.
Racer 5 is awesome and the Bear has really good beer.
Russian River IPA is a good one.
Lagunitas is a great Costco buy for me. Always buy a case when I go.
I thought Torpedo wasn't balanced well? Bought a 22oz and just didn't do it for me? Maybe i'm weird.
I wish I remember the good IPA's I had at the Boonville Beerfest sunday so I can tell ya'll :tank:

I feel the same was about Torpedo.

I'd like to throw in a recommendation for Shipyard IPA.

It's a nice mellow IPA that is made in the more traditional English sense. It's not an American citrus hop bomb (which are YUMMMMS) but it's a worthy beer.

Ninkasi Total Domination IPA is my absolute favorite. Next would be Bridgeport's Hop Czar. Also Widmer recently came out with Rotator X-114 IPA and its very good as well.

Man, you lucky guy in Eugene (I moved almost two hours away due to school and miss it, lots!). I just bought a six-pack of the X-114, and it blew this uninitiated IPA person away. It tastes just like the hops do when I'm brewing!

Also, I had some Total Domination the other day when I was down in Eugene playing a gig at Ninkasi and it was great. I don't know how I've been missing this stuff all this time. It's just dawning on me that I might be able to make beer that tastes like this stuff.

I'll add my vote for Lagunitas IPA, Bell's 2 Hearted, Founders Centennial, Bear Republic Racer 5, and Firestone Walker Union Jack (probably my favorite of them all). Stone is great too, haven't seen the Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' listed, that's on my top 10 list as well.

Back