Commercial Bottle Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVBen

Reaction score
I had a bottle of Anchor Steam sitting in my keezer set to 40°F with a couple of kegs and a couple of other bottles and I went to pour myself a pint of my delicious APA last night and noticed that the bottle of Anchor Steam was shredded and there is an inch of beer at the bottom. :(

Probably no chance it froze, but where in the keezer was it sitting? I know the walls of my keezer are much colder when it is running than the probe that regulates the temp controller. If it was pushed into a corner where it was in contact with the walls it may have frozen and burst.

yeah, i doubt it was for the reasons we sometimes get bottle bombs. i don't think they bottle condition anyway do they?

It was sitting on the shelf on top of the compressor. The thought crossed my mind that it might have frozen, but if it was frozen, I'd expect to see ice, but there was only liquid. I guess it could've froze, exploded, and then melted...

I've had a couple of commercial brews that have had an infection and 'exploded' when I opened them. But, it probably froze.

Back