Commercial Beer in Des Moines for a West Coast Guy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalAngler

Reaction score
I'm traveling out to Des Moines tomorrow on business for a couple days and will be stuck to downtown without a car. Which brews should I look out for while I'm there? I've already decided I'm tracking down some Bell's Two Hearted since we don't get it in California. What else should I take back with me?

Go to Raccoon River brewery; eat, drink, and be merry.

Yeah I'm staying at the Hotel Fort Des Moines, which is right next to it. I've been to Des Moines a few times and enjoyed Raccoon River, but I haven't been back there since I really got into craft beer.

What about craft beer that has a limited distribution to the eastern US? I know IA is considered midwest, but a prime example is Bells Brewery, that doesn't go west of IA.

Look up El Bait Shop. It is a bar downtown and will be a short walk for you. You will get almost any beer you could think of there on tap and in a bottle. I am pretty sure they have Two Hearted Ale also. Tell me what you think when you get back.

Raccoon River kind of disappointed me. There's another brewpubs I think, a little farther east. Past the bus station. Can't remember the street or the name of the place. Helpful, I know.

another BIG vote for El Bait Shop. If you're there Thursday they have Jimmy Carter Happy Hour, where a local hombrewer brings in beer.

They do sell bottles, so anything they have in the cooler can go home with you.

Oh, here's their tap wall. . .

IMG_2043.jpg

Court Ave Brewing Co is East of there between 4th and 3rd St if you want something local:
http://www.courtavebrew.com/

And you definitely can't go wrong with El Bait, hundred beers on tap all US brewed I believe, others in bottle and several tasting flights. It's south of Court Ave Brewing a couple blocks on 3rd St.
Here's their menu:
http://www.elbaitshop.com/menus.html

A half block north of Court Ave on 4th st the same guys have an English pub called The Royal Mile, which also has a Belgian bar upstairs. For excellent pub food it can't be beat. Across the street is Fong's Pizza with funky pizzas.

Prolly more than you need to know... I don't get out much anymore so someone should!

another BIG vote for El Bait Shop. If you're there Thursday they have Jimmy Carter Happy Hour, where a local hombrewer brings in beer.

They do sell bottles, so anything they have in the cooler can go home with you.

Oh, here's their tap wall. . .

Um, yeah.... done. I may be at El Bait Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday!

1+ on El Bait Shop, great people there too.
Court Avenue Brewing has awsome wood aged beer so you can't go wrong.

If you go to Beer crazy, the'll have a good selection (homebrew/bottle shop) you can get Bell's pretty easy in Iowa, try something local from Millstream (great stout) or the newer Peace Tree Brewing (get some double IPA) both great breweries in Iowa.:mug:

I went to El Bait Shop last night. I had a beergasm when I saw the tap wall! I finally tried Two Hearted and loved it. I had Goose Island IPA, Sierra Nevada 30th stout, rogue extra bitter. Going back in an hour for more! You guys rock for the tip!
1000000222.JPG

1+ on El Bait Shop, great people there too.
Court Avenue Brewing has awsome wood aged beer so you can't go wrong.

If you go to Beer crazy, the'll have a good selection (homebrew/bottle shop) you can get Bell's pretty easy in Iowa, try something local from Millstream (great stout) or the newer Peace Tree Brewing (get some double IPA) both great breweries in Iowa.:mug:

+1 on both of those, but I'd grab the Octoberfest from millstream, and both the Rye Porter and the Cornacopia Saison from Peace Tree. Beer crazy should have both, and is a cool home brew store anyway.

+1 on both of those, but I'd grab the Octoberfest from millstream, and both the Rye Porter and the Cornacopia Saison from Peace Tree. Beer crazy should have both, and is a cool home brew store anyway.

Took the words out of my mouth Millstream's Octoberfest is best Oct. Ive had, right up there with Ayinger's. And I completely agree with the Cornacopia and Porter, Im working right by there brewery for the next month so Ive been hitting up their brewpub every chance I get, unfortunately they dont have the IIPA, but they're about to make it again.

I went back and had the Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse ale, Flying Dog IPA, Rogue Saint Rogue Red and Widmer Drifter. I also brought home a few friends. Left to right, Left Hand 400 Pound Monkey, Shipyard XXXX IPA, and Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad. I'm really looking forward to the quad. If has been stored correctly then it should be pretty darn good now, bottled 2/1/2009.

photo.JPG

Back