Commercial beer = bad, mmmkay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambeer

Reaction score
I get it, we're homebrew.

But when ppl (rather condescendingly) say: have a commercial beer... do they mean mass produced?

Craft brew is commercial and apparently we're all striving to imitate them.

I've not bought ANY beer (for drinking at home, at restaurants doesn't count IMO) since I started brewing (November 2010)... I know there are plenty of people that buy other produced beer for 'research' reasons, but I'm not one of them. l'm very happy with what I produce and have to drink.

So, basically, I'm not trying to imitate any other brewer/brewery out there. I'm brewing recipes of my own create to put into a pint glass the flavors I desire...

Hmm, I dunno. I still buy and drink commercial beer all the time. I actually feel like I'm rather "green" when it comes to different styles, and I like to try new things.

Craft is commercial beer.

I still buy beer all the time. Not only do I like to support breweries but I like trying different beers. Sometimes I feel like having a certain beer that I don't have on tap at home so I go buy a 6 or 12 pack of it.

I love brewing it, but I'll still buy some on occasion to get flavors that I'm in the mood for. I drink all kinds of beer because I love all kinds of beer. IMO that makes me lucky! :tank:

I have learned from brewing that any style can be adopted to suit my palate if I know what can and cannot work. I only average 6 beers a week so to learn about styles I buy craft beer or any beer true to style (eg: guiness). This way if I don't care for licorice in a RIS then I can downplay that attribute without making 2 batches. I brew more and buy less as I progress down this path though.

I'm testing different beers when I go out (unless I have a craving for a favorite like Midas' Touch.

In fact, over the weekend my spouse and I went out with friends, and I ended up trying an amazing beer called Allagash Four. I have to admit, there's a difference between tap and bottle, but either way, wow, good stuff (it may have helped that the brewery was literally walking distance from the restaurant).

Maybe someday I can brew that well. I certainly hope so.

So yes, I occasionally buy microbrews, when I can afford it. I'm lucky that I have a few very knowledgeable friends who can steer me in the right direction (long time homebrewer & sommelier), so I can find stuff I like (although, to be honest, I tend to go with his wife's recommendations, because we have very similar tastes).

If there's no homebrew in the house, for me it's a Honey Brown, for a sixer to just have.

I LOVE home brew but I'm not what some people might call a beer snob. I still enjoy the mass produced 30-pack beers but prefer the complex flavors you get from other microbrews or homebrews. For me personally, I look at my own homebrew as a special occasion beer. My wife and I went to a Memorial Day cookout at a friend's house where an ice cold keg of mass-produced beer was available but we brought an assortment of 4 different homebrews of ours to enjoy and share with others. It was a great way to share the fruits of our labors and add to the converstaion topics. For all I know, we might have ignited a spark in a future homebrewer!

h22lude said:
Not only do I like to support breweries but I like trying different beers. Sometimes I feel like having a certain beer that I don't have on tap at home so I go buy a 6 or 12 pack of it.

This. I buy beers from local breweries because I like supporting them as much as I can. I also buy Coors Light a lot (go ahead, flame away) because I'm still young-ish and Friday night drinking games last longer when you play with watered down beer. The day I stop playing beer pong is the day I stop buying CL though.

I drink mostly homebrew but buy and drink commercial occasionally. Most of my commercial buying is to stock up on bottles for my brew, drinking a variety of beers is an added bonus.

I still buy a lot and drink a lot of commercial beer. Unfortunately my schedule and overall lazyness means I never have enough of a pipeline to keep me supplied with different tasting home brew.

So it never fails that if I have a stout ready, I feel like an IPA and visa versa. I don't buy the watery mass produced stuff however, I buy from local breweries every chance I can.

I need to really work on getting a pipe line going. And quit being so lazy about it.

I probably buy 2 6 packs and a bomber a week of some nice beer. Usually one of my go to breweries like Firestone Walker, SN, Great Divide, etc, and a bomber and a sixer of something new. I always try to branch out and try new styles as I am basically a IPA guy. I was up in Canada this weekend and tried Fin du Monde, its was descent. Canada has some nice craft beer as well, I bought 4 bombers of random beers at a local shop.

I'm with some of the above posters though, I truely believe it is up to us to help support and foster the local/small breweries. Think of all the people on here who want to open a brewery, wouldn't you want fellow brewers to try your beer on a whim, to support you? I'm not really a fan of our in-town brewery (Mayflower) but I buy a sixer at least once a month and plan on doing a tour. Their IPA is nice but their oatmeal stout is their best.

Its both research and support. Finally...I also like beer

i'm just starting my beer journey really and i like trying different beers and attempting to brew something similar.

Back