Combined 'Yeasts' for 'Buch, Kefir, & Ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UntakenName

Reaction score
So after getting back to my apartment and running the usual routine of feeding my water kefir, my ginger bug, and checking on my kombucha SCOBY (tragically had to be thrown out :( gnats had gotten to it while I was out of town), I realized that I am spending a reasonable amount of time maintaining these three fermentations.

My thought is this, what if I MERGED all three fermentations into one? I imagine this would be accomplished two ways:

1) Have all three 'mothers' (scoby, kefir grains, fed ginger bug) in the same pot and use that as a source of starter liquid for future brews. It would be ugly and I'd love to hear if you guys have any feedback on how the cultures would interact

2) Continuous brew out of a single vessel. Under this method i would have all three bacteria/yeast sources in the same vessel, and would conduct my first fermentation through this.

I know a third and VERY easy option would be to simply just mix the 1F of all three into the same bottle for the 2F stage but- I've done this already to great success and am interested in making the process more linear.

Cheers Everyone

Latest posts

Back