Color shift?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaksha808

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have done a few batches so far the last two being kits from midwest and austin online shops, the both turned out to be a red color when they should of come out to be a rather nice normal hefe color, can anyone explain what could of caused this?

Were they extract kits using Liquid Extract and, if so, did you add all of the extract at the beginning of the boil? This can lead to a darkening of the wort from maillard reaction. Scorching of extract on the bottom of the kettle, when LME isn't sufficiently mixed before putting the flame back on, is also a possible cause.

That'll cause it to darken. Use about 1/3 of the extract in the partial boil for hop additions. Then add the remainder at flame out. I get light lager color in my hybrid lagers this way. Or that amber orange in pale ales. It also gives a bit cleaner flavor.

Basically,yes. I typically use 3lbs of plain DME in my AE recipes. Half of that in a 2.5-3.5 gallon boil for hop additions. Then add the remaining DME & all LME at flame out for the reasons mentioned.

Another method: I partial mash up to 6lbs grain in a 5 gal paint strainer bag, then use that wort for my boil and add all the LME at flameout. Same concept and difficulty as steeping specialty grains, you just need to be able to hold temp for 45 mins to an hour. Wrapping the pot in a sleeping bag works and is free.

Back