Color difference WLP001 vs. WLP051

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
I'm not worried about this fermentation at all. I am, however, curious as to what I am seeing.

I made 10 gallons of Yoopers Fizzy Yellow Beer on 8/16. Basic recipe is 70/30 split of Vienna and 2 Row. Went a touch high on gravity as it seems happen when I mash long and low (70 min at 149F). At the end of the boil I had an OG of 1.054. Hopped with Perle and Tett to about 22 IBU.

I split it into 2 Better Bottles. One batch got WLP001 (1 vial in a 1200 ml starter). One batch got WLP051 (same starter size). I had never used the 051 before and I thought a beer with this light a profile would really highlight the differences between the 2.

In past batches I've wound up getting more trub into the fermenters than I wanted. So I changed the angle on my pick up tube to intentionally draw less trub.

I did a 90 min boil and a whirlpool chill (I let the whirlpool spin down 30 min after removing the chiller. I used 1 tab of whirlfloc in the last 10 min of the boil. I wound up with a nice trub cone in the center of the pot after transfer to my better bottles.

The main difference between the 2 at transfer to boil kettle, is that there was more trub in my first fermenter when racking. I got an initial rush of trub then the hose cleared up and I got a clear transfer for the rest of that fermenter. By the time I moved the hose to the second fermenter, the wort coming from my BK was crystal clear.

I decanted and pitched at 6 pm Friday night (8/16). By the time I went to bed at midnight, I had a small krausen beginning to form on both. By the next morning, the cloudy fermenter was slightly behind the clear fermenter in terms of krausen size. Within 2 hrs though, the cloudy fermenter caught the clear one and fermentation proceeded without incident on both.

With the exception of the color difference. If you look at the 2 carboys, the left (darker) carboy is the WLP001. The right fermenter (lighter) is the WLP051. Again, never having used that yeast, I have no idea if this is to be expected, or if it is just a factor of having drawn more trub into the fermenter, making it murkier during fermentation.

I know suspended matter of any kind (yeast, trub, etc.) will reflect light and cause the beer to appear lighter in color than it will once it clears. I've just never seen this stark a difference between 2 yeasts that I thought were supposed to be in the same general family.

Both vials had a use by date of 11-22-13, indicating that they were only about 3 weeks old when I made the starters. Both starters took off within a few hours. And the relatively short lag times on the fermentations makes me believe they are viable. I just find the color difference a little odd for 2 fermenters holding beer from the same batch.

Had to upload from my phone

image-877659245.jpg

Are they still different colors? Let us know how they turn out.

I believe it was trub. I roused the yeast a bit because I am really trying to dry this one out. The colors both lightened up a bit when I roused.

They are both settling out and have darkened a bit. But the rousing had kicked them back into action again.

I am starting my 3rd week in primary. I have gotten spoiled by using mostly Brit yeasts that ferment out completely and have cleaned up after themselves by the end of week 2.

The 001 left a bit of acetaldehyde and the 051 has left its signature sulfur. Going to give them this week to clean up at around 70f before I keg.

Back