Collecting yeast from commercial bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodystout

Reaction score
One I am new to the forum and also to home brewing. I just finished off a bottle of mons abbey blonde. On the back of the bottle it says to save the last ounce in a shot glass to collect brewers yeast. I have two questions. Is this a viable form of collecting yeast and if so how do I stirs it. Do I need a sanatozed container. Thanks in advance!

Hi BS
You are jumping into the deep end of the pool as a new homebrewer.
Most folks start off with straight forward low gravity brews and packaged yeast until they get their system worked out and then move on to more exotic things. They then read up on harvesting and storing yeast and then start bottle harvesting.
Is this a yeast you specifically want for a planned brew or have you just happened to find it is harvest-able?

If you really want this strain and bottles of the beer are hard to come by then store it in a small seal able ,sanitized container and make a small 100ml starter for it as soon as practicable. If bottles are fairly easy to get in future then maybe it would be best to let this one slide and read up on yeast harvesting and storage before having a crack at it.
Good luck in your endeavor.

Yeah it is easy to get around here. I was not planning on using it straight away just figured if I had it why not keep it for future use. Thanks for the info.

I think it is a good idea even if you don't use the yeast.

I harvest yeast by leaving the beer in the fridge for a couple of weeks to have the yeast compact at the bottom of the bottle. After that I pour as much beer out of the bottle as possible without disturbing the yeast. After this has been done with s few bottles I then mix them together in a steralized jar and store it in the fridge.

Harvesting yeast is easy, just make a small (~100-150 mL) starter around 1.030-1.040. Sanitize the cap of your bottle, open it, pour it into your glass leaving about a half oz of beer or so in the bottle, sanitize the top again, swirl up the yeast sediment, dump into the starter wort, cover it with sanitized foil and let biology take the wheel.

You probably aren't going to have a 100% success rate with harvesting yeast, but that's no worry, worst case scenario is you're out of a 0.5 oz of DME and a half cup of water and a little bit of your time.

Back