Collecting Sample to Test Fermentation Completion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
What do you use to take a sample out of your carboy to test gravity to see if fermentation is done, a wine thief?

I use a 10mL glass pipettes, I suppose it is wine thief of some sort as I found it in the wine making area. Gets well below the surface crap if I hold my finger over the top. I use a refractometer for checking fermentation so I dont need more than a couple mL, a few drop for the refractometer and the rest for me.

wine thief if I use my hydrometer and pipette when I use my refractometer (I rarely use my hydrometer any more)

Wine thief. A hydrometer is the most accurate when alcohol is present. A refractometer is fine for doing pre-boil measurements and OG measurements.

I usually wait 4 weeks to let fermentation finish and I just check at bottling time using a turkey baster and a test tube. 99% or the time it's done after 4 weeks. I'm in no rush.

I go by visual confirmation. After a week or so, once the krausen has dropped, I know fermentation is done. If I do check, Ill use a racking cane and pull a sample with that. I rarely do though.

Wine thief. A hydrometer is the most accurate when alcohol is present. A refractometer is fine for doing pre-boil measurements and OG measurements.

You do need to use software to get the true gravity when alcohol is present with a refractometer but the results are consistent. If you are just looking for when the gravity is stable it works fine for that and you dont need to do the calculations. I take gravity reading with a refractometer to determine when it is stable then use a hydrometer to verify the result before kegging or bottling, the calculated value is usually within a single point of the hydrometer.

I usually wait 4 weeks to let fermentation finish and I just check at bottling time using a turkey baster and a test tube. 99% or the time it's done after 4 weeks. I'm in no rush.

I second this, I usually wait 3 weeks for say a 1.050 gravity beer to finish and most times they are done by then. Stick the wine thief in and grab a sample to check... then drink it (;

Higher gravity beers, say 1.060 to 1.070 I let go a month before checking.

When it gets North of 1.080 I leave them be for at least 2 months, sometimes longer.

I'm prepared to leave it as long as needed. However, I am hoping that I will be able to use the recipe timing (I know that's a bad phrase) as its a recipe John Palmer's. "How to Brew".

In it, he said ferment for 10 days. I figured that since I used a starter and a regulated fermentation chamber and had a fast starting, aggressive krausen that I would be safe using that timing. I figured his 10 day timing probably accounted for fermentation completed in i.e. 5-7 days with 3 or so days to stabilize.

There's no more activity in the blow-off tube container.

Today (Sunday, 10/25) marks 8 days and my plan was to check the SG today and again in 2 days. If the SG is stable on the 2nd reading it's ready, correct?

Then I was going to start my cold crash followed by gelatin and bottle.

Your checking FG not SG. Im trying to get my beer time down.The ten day Grain to glass thing for a 1.050 type beer.I brewed Monday and checked yesterday(5 days) Kausen had dropped and I reached FG so I dryhopped. Us05 at 65 deg. Even if there is slight fermentation it will finish up during a 3 day dryhop.I use a sterilized turkey baster,bucket no carboy

You do need to use software to get the true gravity when alcohol is present with a refractometer but the results are consistent. If you are just looking for when the gravity is stable it works fine for that and you dont need to do the calculations. I take gravity reading with a refractometer to determine when it is stable then use a hydrometer to verify the result before kegging or bottling, the calculated value is usually within a single point of the hydrometer.

Exactly, I use this one http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml I some times double check with the hydrometer and have found that OG is always spot on and FG is always within 3 points with the hydrometer usually reading about 3 points higher.
None the less it is plenty accurate for my needs and it only uses a few drops for a sample.

How do you obtain a few drops sample when using a refractometer?

Pick a tool, like a pipette, turkey baster, bottling wand, a length of tubing. Hold your finger over one end, poke the other end into the fermentor so the end is below the krausen layer. Remove your finger for a few seconds then put your finger back on the end and remove the tool. I suppose it is a vacuum that holds the sample in the tool.

Last edited:
How do you obtain a few drops sample when using a refractometer?

I use the pipette that came with the refractometer, but as was mentioned there are all kinds of ways to collect a small sample. The pipette collects only a small amount but it is enough for testing and a little taste test.Nothing gets returned to the fermenter like a 3 oz'ish hydrometer sample.

Back