Collar Miter Cut Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
Man, this is not my day. I bought a nice piece of 1x6 red oak to build my collar and then found out my ancient black&decker table saw is defunct. Short of buying a new table saw, what would be a cheap yet precice way to make the miter cut on a 1x6? Is there a miter box than can accomodate that width? TIA!

---VikeMan

A decent circ saw with a speed square will work. try a couple of practice cuts to get the angle precise.

If you can find someone with a mitre saw it's real easy!

B

There are miter boxes that can handle 6" high stock - will probably run you somewhere around $30-$50 including backsaw at a local hardware store. Not sure what to recommend without knowing what other tools you have. Circular saw with a clamped guide would be my next choice if a miter/chop saw or table saw wasn't available. A band saw would work, as would a router with a 45 degree bit. Some jigsaws can be set to cut at an angle, but your odds of getting a clean enough edge to join are pretty slim.

Try to borrow or rent one. Also, some folks might not want to loan their equipment, but won't mind if you bring your wood and make your cuts there. Bring along a few home brews for compensation. If you are not experienced, using a square and a skill saw might not be easy...or as accurate. I had a hard enough time making good cuts with a 10" miter saw. ;)

*(wood working newb)*

I'm about to begin a collar build, what's the deal with doing miter cuts rather than just butting up the wood against each other for the collar? Seem's I've seen it done both ways in the keezer thread and now I'm confused which way to go.

*(wood working newb)*

I'm about to begin a collar build, what's the deal with doing miter cuts rather than just butting up the wood against each other for the collar? Seem's I've seen it done both ways in the keezer thread and now I'm confused which way to go.

Most collars are going to be 2x6 or 2x8; most consumer grade (6" blade) miters/chopsaws can't make a good one time cut to miter wider boards. Combine that with the fact that most 2x is for framing and is not necessarily always straight and making a miter for collars can be just a bit difficult to do well for most folks. With an 8" saw or with hardwood stock this would usually be a bit easier. Most do the butt joints as they can be more forgiving when assembling the collar.

There's no need for 2x - a 1x6 at 3/4" thick is more than strong enough to hold the taps. A chest freezer lid weighs almost nothing - you can chuck it like a frisbee.

Only reason for a miter joint (or dovetail for that matter) over a butt joint is aesthetics.

Back