Cold tap water in my hot yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
As you all can tell I'm having so much fun with yeast starters!

I was cooling my starter in an ice bath and the pot slipped and fell into the cold tap water. I went with my gut and decided to just bring the starter back to a boil again for a few minutes to make sure I didn't contaminate it.

Is this ok?

I am assuming you are talking about the wort for the starter pre-pitch. If so that is fine. Just let it cool to 70 degrees again before adding the yeast. :mug:

yes, smart move on bring it back to a boil to sanitize. Then cool it down before pitching the yeast.

Consider getting one of those glass lab flasks. They are made of special glass that can go directly from the stove to the ice bath and not break! I put the water and DME in the flask. Put the flask on the stove and boil up the starter in the flask (use foam control). Then take the flask off and put it into an ice bath to cool. No transferring and the whole time the flask opening is covered with tinfoil. This really reduces any chance of infecting the starter. When it's done fermenting I flame the opening to sanitize the lip before pitching the starter into my batch.

Back