Cold Start in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZacMac

Reaction score
I pitched a pale ale with Nottingham on Saturday night and shelved it in my basement. Checked it the next morning expecting activity, but with no signs.
Thought the temp in my basement was in range, but after a couple days I realized that my thermometer was off and a new one is now reading 62 degrees (air temp) which would explain a slow fermentation, if any at all inside the primary. Just moved it to a warmer area in house with hopes to ramp up the activity.

I was stupid to not take any gravity readings after the boil so I have no point of reference as to an OG.

Anything I need to worry about after 2-3 days of slow fermentation?

If you're using a bucket and looking for airlock bubbles, good chance the lid has a little leak. Peek inside and if you see some foaming action, all is well, shut it back and sleep well.

If you are using a clear carboy and can see that the beer is absolutely flat and calm, I'd personally be tossing some more yeast in ASAP.

It was dry and no, I did not rehydrate.

I am guessing that this is working against you also. People smarter than me say that you kill of a lot of the yeast if you don't rehydrate first due to the cell walls not being able to regulate the amount of sugars they allow to pass through when the yeast is dry. That coupled with the cool temp is the most likely cause for the delay in active fermentation. Is it carboy or bucket?

Yeah, I'm still torn on the hydrate - not to hydrate theory. It has worked for me so I stick with it the dry pitch, but I can see a benefit for hydrating too!

I used a bucket, so I might need to take a peek in there either through the lid or eyelet for the airlock.

I also pitched dry safale-05 2 days ago expecting for there to be action but after looking at the temp it's at 62 and still no action. I opened the bucket, there didn't seem to be any leaks and there was a hefty foam on top which is good, I think. I've had slow starts before but this one is starting to get me worried. It was 81 when I pitched it and I put it on the landing going down to the basement because the basement is unfinished and prob in the 55 degree range. Got my fingers crossed. If there is still no action by day 3 what is the process of re-pitching ? Do you aerate the wort again ? or just re-pitch ?

there was a hefty foam on top which is good, I think.

Yep, that krausen. It should be fermenting. 55F is maybe a little on the cool side to be ideal. Should really be more into the mid 60s. Give it a couple more days and take a gravity reading and a taste test.

Back