Cold start for 2124, results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrad

Reaction score
I started a Maibock NB extract kit with two smack packs of 2124 Bohemian lager. . I pitched around 60 which I'm thinking was too high. I put the primary in a section of my basement that was holding steady at about 44-55 for the past month, and of course, day 2, and cold snap hits Chicago and the ambient room temp dropped to 36 overnight, although the fermometer is reading about 42.

I'm definitely planning for a Diacetyl rest due to the warm start, but I'm wondering what effect the low temp may have during the first days of fermenting. Maybe just a slow start? I put a heater back there to raise it a couple of degrees moving forward, to hopefully hit high 40s. It is showing signs of starting, bubbling away and starting the build a krausen after 2 days.

Thanks!

I just made a series of German pils using 2124. I pitched at 45F and kept it below 50 for the whole fermentation. Great results. I started with a 1 gal. starter, then reused the yeast for successively larger batches.

Latest posts

Back