Cold secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newfermenter1

Reaction score
Biere de garde I have in primary right now calls for;
Suggested fermentation schedule:
-- 1-2 weeks primary; 2 weeks cold secondary; 2
weeks warm bottle conditioning (for carbonation);
extended cold bottle aging.

It uses;
WYEAST #2112 CALIFORNIA LAGER YEAST.
Optimum temperature: 58-68°F

I am curious about a temp range for the "cold Secondary" as the fermentation range is fairly cold to begin with. Also, should the Cold bottle aging be similar in temp to the secondary, or would it benefit from a cold fridge?
Using Lager yeast is a new experience and I am concerned about the cold secondary beeing so cold that it shuts down all activity, or maybe this is not an issue?

Cold secondary is lagering. After primary fermentation is over, you bring the beer down to the lower temp. for an extended period ,(4-6 weeks). Lager yeast will continue to work at the lower Temps.
I Haven't bottled anything in a long time but I do believe that after bottling it needs to be kept at 70 degrees for proper carbonating.

Thank you RK. By "the lower temp" you mean the bottom of the yeasts recommended temp range?

I want to say that I have not been bottling! It has become such a cumbersome process I sometimes procrastinate about bottling day. I will be collecting the supplies for kegging the next batch. I'll convince Momma that it will be easier on the budget in the long run, and less of a mess in the kitchen!

Thanks again!

Good stuff. Thank you. This recipe deals with the "steamer" approach using a lager yeast at higher temp. (Not a Cleveland Steamer lol) thank you for the advice.

Back