Cold Room AC Venting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedDragon

Reaction score
Need some suggestions and pics!
I want to build a small walk-in cooler (4'x6'x7') for garage and use the CoolBot and a window ac unit. BUT, my HOA will not let me put one through my wall. I can, however, install vents. Has anyone successfully done this and not destroyed or had problems with the unit? Does it get rid of most the heat? Are they incredibly loud?

If you have created something for your unit, please post a pic!
Thanks!

I have one with a 5000 BTU A/C unit. The whole thing is something like 3x4x4 and has double doors on the front. The A/C only runs about 45 seconds every 30-50 min. I bought a new GE A/C for $99. You have to get an analog unit for best results. You can also do this w/o using a CoolBot. I built an STC-1000 controller for mine but I only run it at 18C. I have run it down to to 10C (50F) with no problems. There is also another guy here with a recent build that is similar to mine and his dimensions are maybe closer to yours. He also uses a 5000 BTU GE and an STC-1000.

But, if you are doing a walk in fridge, you'll be running it at about 40 degrees. I have a 4x8x7 unit with a CoolBot that is not vented and it does not need to be. This unit is in a garage but it does not get very hot here. I first had a 5500 BTU unit and it was under powered. I performed an upgrade on the insulation and changed over to a 12,500 BTU unit. Works great now.

Lesson learned: Do a better job on the insulation!

Yeah, I want to be running it down to about 38 F. I also use the garage as my brewery (door closed since electric) and a hang out. I was worried if I didn't vent, it would generate a lot of heat..especially in the summer months.

Yeah, I want to be running it down to about 38 F. I also use the garage as my brewery (door closed since electric) and a hang out. I was worried if I didn't vent, it would generate a lot of heat..especially in the summer months.

Once the cold room is chilled, you won't be moving much heat, if you use enough insulation. Unless you stand right in front of the exhaust vents, I doubt you will be able to feel any heat.

You may look for one of the floor standing AC units. They just use a small dryer-sized vent to the outdoors. They were super common when I was in Korea years ago, but are just now catching on here. Here are some examples: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc4m4/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

From what I hear, these are more expensive, and less efficient. Coolbot specifically advises against them for most applications. Try to stick with a window A/C unit if possible.

My hunch would be no. Since those things are fully enclosed with just the small vent, I'd imagine that a fair amount of cooling is required to make up for the heat that DOESN'T make it out the vent..

They recommend using them only for rooms that need to be 45 or higher..
Plus, they are more expensive.

Yeah. I may borrow a window unit from my brother to test the heat and noise variables before I move forward on the project.

I think I will have a section for fermentation as well. I will build some controllers and connect to heaters to keep the fermenters warmer and insulate that area as well to keep it a bit warmer.

RedDragon said:
Need some suggestions and pics!
I want to build a small walk-in cooler (4'x6'x7') for garage and use the CoolBot and a window ac unit. BUT, my HOA will not let me put one through my wall. I can, however, install vents. Has anyone successfully done this and not destroyed or had problems with the unit? Does it get rid of most the heat? Are they incredibly loud?

If you have created something for your unit, please post a pic!
Thanks!

I have a 5,000btu analog unit on a smaller version of what you are talking about. My build thread is "semi-walkin 5000btu fermentation chamber". Mine is 3x3x7 external dimensions. It stalls out around 44 degrees. I can tell a little temperature increase in my garage, but that wasn't an issue to me. I would guess you would want something in the 10,000+ btu range, and definitely lots of insulation. The coolbot seems to be a good little unit that will do what you want. I went the cheaper DIY way and basically did what the coolbot does with two temp controllers. The way I did mine would only work with an analog A/C, and I'm not sure how big they make those anymore.

As far as venting goes, you could build an air duct with a fan in it that blows outside. It would pull air from inside the garage, across the condenser coil, and out the vent duct. That would keep from heating up your garage.

Thank you all for your input.
How about this...creating a large "box" around the outside of the AC (on the outside of the freezer where the hot air comes in and fresh air goes in. Then create a vent with in-line fan venting outside and on the opposite end have an opening where fresh air can come through from the garage.

That's kinda what I was getting at. You could use house A/C duct attached to just the A/C, and leave the vents on the side open to pull in garage air. That would probably be the easiest, lightest way to do it.

Latest posts

Back