Cold Plate Jockey Box Foaming like a MF'er

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howhownow

Reaction score
I built a cold plate jockey box about a year ago. The plate has 2 runs, up until now I only used one as it gets the beer plenty cold (I'm talking sitting on the porch in the middle of summer down to icy cold). It's worked great from the get-go with my homebrews in pin locks. Pours great, cold beer (I am not sure if this is important or not for my current issue). My problem is when I hook up my sanke coupler and try to run a commercial brew. It is just FOAM. Best I can do is about 1/4 a pint good pour, the rest pure foam. I have tried sub kegerator serving pressure (~6psi) all the way to 30+. It pours best 20ish psi, but still nowhere near acceptable. I took it with me to a bachelor party a month ago and it poured us foamy beer for 3 straight days (keg sitting totally still in climate controlled kitchen).

This has all been a big pain, but it really came to a head (no pun intended) this weekend, when I put it into service pouring beer at that same buddy's wedding reception. I thought I could get it fixed up beforehand, but much to my embarrassment it sputtered foam the entire time. Luckily the catering guy manning it rolled with the punches and prepoured glasses to let them settle. That got beer to the people, but didn't help my anxiety about the whole thing.

Before the wedding I did some upgrades and tried to figure out what the heck was causing the foam. I needed to add a second tap (using the other plate run), so I thought that would be a good opportunity to test it. Up to this point I had been banking that it was an issue with my sanke coupler. This was ignoring the fact that same coupler pours fine in my kegerator. New coupler, faucet, lines in hand, I went about connecting the second tap. I clamped it all up, put a T on the gas in, iced the cold plate, tested for leaks, and went to pour my fist pint. I expected the first few pints not to be perfect...but they never improved. Varying levels of foam across all pressures, no acceptable pours. I then went back and replumbed the original run, reclamping, shortening hoses, taking out variables (like a QD in the beer line between the keg and the box), hoping this would fix the issue. Same result, foamy pours.

At this point, I was quite a bit more intoxicated than I had intended (what, I wasn't going to throw out the samples!), and with nothing else I could think to test and an early morning quickly approaching, I wrote it off as a shaken keg and went to bed. As related above, that turned out to not be the case.

It's time to resolve this issue and now, after running out of my own options, I turn to this community for help. Anything that could be thought to be tested or tried, I'm open to all suggestions.

My inclination, since I basically have tried two identical sets of equipment on both runs with similar results, is that it's something I'M doing with my hookup to/from the cold plate. That is unless there is something wrong with both runs in the plate, which I think is a long shot, especially since my homebrews pour OK (a strange detail that I just don't understand the logic of). I have built a couple kegerators, so have plenty of work with beer and gas lines and connections. The connections here seem pretty darn standard... I am just stumped.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but yeah, I am out of ideas.

Perhaps your commercial beers are just carbed up too high for the serving pressure and line length. You may need to drastically increase the amount of serving line to provide more resistance to the beer. Colder will work better, as will insulating the serving lines from keg to plate and plate to glass.

I had thought that, especially when having better luck with homebrews. I have pretty dang long lines (~10' 3/16 ID), and while they aren't insulated from keg -> plate, the plate -> faucet lines are keeping cool in the cooler. The beer comes out ICY cold.

I run dual inline cold plates with 5/16 line from keg to plate 1, 5/16 between plates and 18" of 3/16 from plate to shank. Once the line enters the cooler it never leaves the ice again.

If you add the ice before the beer is flowing, it can freeze the water in the plate. It's just something to check. It's the only reasion that I can think of, that it would work with HB and not store bought kegs.

I can give one insight - be sure to keep the cold plate out of water either by raising the cold plate (eg putting it on foam, container, wood, etc); or opening up the drain plug. Water works fine for lines but fails on cold plates and creates more foaming.

The other is longer lines figuring 1.8 psi/ft w/ 3/16" line. They also make line restrictors placed behind the faucets to increase psi w/o the length.

Good Luck.

Dan F.

I can give one insight - be sure to keep the cold plate out of water either by raising the cold plate (eg putting it on foam, container, wood, etc); or opening up the drain plug. Water works fine for lines but fails on cold plates and creates more foaming.

The other is longer lines figuring 1.8 psi/ft w/ 3/16" line. They also make line restrictors placed behind the faucets to increase psi w/o the length.

Good Luck.

Dan F.

Hmmm... that's interesting. I believe I understand the water thing in concept- it forms a warmer 'blanket' surrounding the plate. Unless you drain or somehow agitate it'll decrease the cooling efficiency. What I still wonder is if the beer comes out very cold, could this still be the problem?
I may jump both plate runs to a single line in a last ditch effort. Maybe I'm wrong about how cold I think it's pouring.

I wouldn't do the jump thing unless there is/was an issue w/ serving temp. Each circuit has either 12' or 18' x 1/4" ss tubing depending on type of plate. Jumping will lower the temp with only a slight increase in resistance (.11psi/ft).

Plates usually chill about 20 degrees below keg temps.

Ice only on cold plate will keep cooler temps w/ direct contact while ice & water conforms to coils giving better cooling (constant pours).

Not sure why water makes foam but have seen it from several sources eg kegman, etc. and the warm blanket makes sense.

Going to drink the remaining beer from the wedding tomorrow night at a coworkers party. Going to ice the kegs and have ye olde college hand pumps ready, but going to try the box on cold kegs and see if that solves it.

Well it looks like I was wrong- temp turned out to be the issue. The kegs were on ice at the party last night and the pours were perfect all evening. :tank:
Little bit of mixed feelings about the resolution. I am very happy to have figured out the issue. On the other hand, one of the main purposes of the jockey box was to avoid having to deal with ice, buckets, etc. etc.. I guess next is to see just how cold is cold enough to start the beer. Also maybe now it would be worth sending a single line through both runs to see if that gets it down to the temps needed.

Well it looks like I was wrong- temp turned out to be the issue. The kegs were on ice at the party last night and the pours were perfect all evening. :tank:
Little bit of mixed feelings about the resolution. I am very happy to have figured out the issue. On the other hand, one of the main purposes of the jockey box was to avoid having to deal with ice, buckets, etc. etc.. I guess next is to see just how cold is cold enough to start the beer. Also maybe now it would be worth sending a single line through both runs to see if that gets it down to the temps needed.

Buy coils and you don't have to keep the beer cold. I have a 95 qt pelican cooler with two 125' coils (over kill most of the time) and can serve ambient air temperature beer in the heat of the summer with zero foaming issues.

Only real downside to coils is how big they are.

I don't get it. I have a 4 tap jockey box with dual micromatic 4-pass plates. I run the beer through both plates. Sort of like primary and secondary chilling. I keep the kegs warm and it works great. The cold plates sit on block ice and I fill in the rest with cube ice. I keep the drain open and have a hose into a small bucket to collect the melt. I pour cold ass beer no matter what. I have used it out in the desert sun with ambient up to 90-95°f and had no problems. That was a big wedding with pours cranking. We killed 20 gallons of beer in about 90 min.

Back