Cold or room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringo8553

Reaction score
What will be the differences, if any, if I bottle from a cold crash before the beer hits room temperature?

Not an expert, going straight from fridge to bottles would just delay the leftover yeast munching on your priming sugar until it comes up to a working temp. So unless I'm missing something, no difference.

I would assume the same... The yeast will be sleeping and will have to warm up to carb/condition your bottled beer. It might take longer to get the job done.

It's fine, better actually, to bottle cold after a crash and let it warm later to room temp in the bottles.

Everything else is the same, including the amount of priming sugar. If using a priming calculator, when asked for the temp, enter the highest temp the beer was at while in the fermenter. One thing I do a bit different when priming cold beer is to give it a very, very gentle (no splashing) stir with a sanitized spoon to ensure even distribution of the sugar in the cold liquid.

I always bottle "cold" from cold crashing. Then it's into the fridge at 70* for 3 weeks. Never had a problem. No need to warm it up first.

the fridge is 70?

I am sure it is a fermentation chamber, not a straight fridge. I use a wine fridge, but it doesn't go up to 70, at least not in the winter when my house temps are ~67. Eventually I will make it two stage so it can heat too, then it will work in cold basements/garages if I ever move my rig.

As far as bottling from a cold crash, it works fine. I have bottled at room temp and cold as a witches titty. Haven't had issues yet. Just needs to warm enough to get the yeast going again. The only bottle conditioning issue I have had was a high grav beer carbonating very weakly because the ABV was just too high for the yeast to work any more.

Back