Cold Crashing vs Whirlfloc or both?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Brewmeisters,

My first homebrew (English Bitter) came out pretty good (to the extent that my neighbor keeps coming for a bottle or two). It is pretty cloudy though. For my next batch, will Whirlfloc be good enough to create a clearer beer, or is cold crashing better?

Thanks,

Steve

1) Whirlfloc - 1/2 tab @ 10 min. I like to crush it in a baggie and sprinkle it in the boil.

2) After chilling the wort, cover the kettle and let things settle 15-20 min before transfer to fermenter.

3) Cold crash - I like to do 5-7 days at 35-36*F. Take care when moving the fermenter so as to not slosh the beer around.

4) Prime and bottle cold. It will warm up just fine in the bottles.

The result = nice clear beer and less yeast trub in the bottom of bottles.

1) Whirlfloc - 1/2 tab @ 10 min. I like to crush it in a baggie and sprinkle it in the boil.

2) After chilling the wort, cover the kettle and let things settle 15-20 min before transfer to fermenter.

3) Cold crash - I like to do 5-7 days at 35-36*F. Take care when moving the fermenter so as to not slosh the beer around.

4) Prime and bottle cold. It will warm up just fine in the bottles.

The result = nice clear beer and less yeast trub in the bottom of bottles.
excellent advice.

one thing i'd add, on #2 - letting the kettle sit after chilling allows the cold break to fall to the bottom of the pot. if you wait long enough, there will be ~90% clear wort sitting on top of a layer of break. leave the break material behind! do not transfer it to your carboy or bucket.

Back