Cold crashing trub viscosity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physics911

Reaction score
How well does the trub stay out of suspension when lifting a cold crashed beer out of a keezer?

I'm doing my first cold crash in a keezer, and I know no matter how gently I lift it out, it is going to slosh some. Is it viscous enough where I can gently hand lift it, then let it sit for a hour or so on the counter to re-settle before kegging, or do I need to setup a makeshift gantry and pull it out super-easy?

And I'm talking within reason here. I understand any movement is going to cause a bit of the trub to rise up. I'm just trying to understand if I can lift it easy and let it sit for a while, or do I need to treat it with kid gloves?

Thank you,
Chris

Letting the fermenter sit a while after moving it out of the fridge has always worked IME. Some trub will indeed be roused, but it is generally large chunks of it and given a little time they will settle back out.

You don't have to treat it with kids gloves. If it's been cold crashing for a few days it gets pretty compacted. I lift my bucket out of the fermentation chamber as gently as possible, place it on the floor to close the chest freezer door and then lift it back to sit it on the door. I'll let it sit there while I get the keg supplies together and everything sanitized.

If you are going to bottle carb then it really matter how much trub goes into the bottles because you'll have yeast settlement. If you are kegging or bottling from a keg the first few ounces will have water settles at the bottom of the keg then it's pretty clear after that.

Back