Cold crashing problems and questions!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't no science. Where does surface area come into your formula?

The surface area to volume ratio will affect the time it takes for O2 to diffuse into the beer. The lower the ratio (area/volume), the longer diffusion takes. Surface area does not affect the final equilibrium. Note that transporting, or otherwise agitating, packaged beer will allow O2 from the headspace to enter the beer much faster than diffusion into still beer.

Brew on :mug:

day_trippr what is your process before this photo
Ferment with blowoff and then replace?
Is there any venting in this setup?

I ferment in 6.5g glass, always start with a 1" ID/1-1/4" OD blow-off jammed in the carboy neck, run with that until it's time to crash, pull the blow-off, clamp on the carboy cap, snap on the gas QD, and hit the crash button on my 'fridge controller.

Best as I can tell, any venting is positive - from the fermentor out.
Never any chance for O2 ingress from the pitch onwards...

Cheers!

I ferment in 6.5g glass, always start with a 1" ID/1-1/4" OD blow-off jammed in the carboy neck, run with that until it's time to crash, pull the blow-off, clamp on the carboy cap, snap on the gas QD, and hit the crash button on my 'fridge controller.

Best as I can tell, any venting is positive - from the fermentor out.
Never any chance for O2 ingress from the pitch onwards...

Cheers!

Question how are you regulating pressure to the balloon at 2-3 psi ?

Cold crashing with your bung assembly but having issues regulating pressure
(also have 2 balloons, one inside the other)

Last edited by a moderator:
Question how are you regulating pressure to the balloon at 2-3 psi ?

Cold crashing with your bung assembly but having issues regulating pressure
(also have 2 balloons, one inside the other)

Not sure where you got that "2-3 psi" from - it definitely wasn't from me.
I set the regulator just high enough to lift the pressure gauge needle off the low stop...

Cheers!

Not sure where you got that "2-3 psi" from - it definitely wasn't from me.
I set the regulator just high enough to lift the pressure gauge needle off the low stop...

Cheers!

Day_trippr

So I built the assembly and had issues with it holding pressure,

are you putting the balloon inside the orange/burgandy bung? and the clamp out side? and a pipe inside the balloon?

So I put the balloon on the outside and clamped there
I also tried double bagging the balloon slow leak both times (lost 5 lbs of CO2 but it crashed under CO2 Gas so the beer is good at least :) )
Bung was clamped and so was the input no leaks there

let me know

Going to use PEX inside the outlet next time not sharp and will not crush

Thanks!

The short copper tubing section goes inside the cap stem, the balloon slips over the stem, then I put a couple of wraps of tape around the balloon, followed by the tubing clamp.

The tape keeps the clamp from piercing the balloon, and the copper tubing section keeps the stem from collapsing....

Cheers!

Day_trippr

So I built the assembly and had issues with it holding pressure,

are you putting the balloon inside the orange/burgandy bung? and the clamp out side? and a pipe inside the balloon?

So I put the balloon on the outside and clamped there
I also tried double bagging the balloon slow leak both times (lost 5 lbs of CO2 but it crashed under CO2 Gas so the beer is good at least :) )
Bung was clamped and so was the input no leaks there

let me know

Going to use PEX inside the outlet next time not sharp and will not crush

Thanks!

I have not tested it, but CO2 is supposed to easily pass through a balloon since the molecules are so small. You're better off using a Tedlar bag or just go with a low pressure propane regulator to put a constant 0.5 psi on the fermenter. Set it and forget it.

I personally don't have an O2OCD problem, just use foil and have had no complaints. However, has anyone considered, or tried, an oxygen scavenger such as food grade sulfite in an S shaped (2-way) airlock?

The short copper tubing section goes inside the cap stem, the balloon slips over the stem, then I put a couple of wraps of tape around the balloon, followed by the tubing clamp.

The tape keeps the clamp from piercing the balloon, and the copper tubing section keeps the stem from collapsing....

Cheers!

Thanks, just to clarify

is the balloon neck then on the outside of the red/orange bung ?

or on the inside of the rubber bung?

Thanks, just to clarify

is the balloon neck then on the outside of the red/orange bung ?
or on the inside of the rubber bung?

Again: copper goes INSIDE the center port of the carboy cap, the balloon neck goes OUTSIDE the center port, tape goes around the OUTSIDE of the balloon neck, clamp goes around the OUTSIDE of the tape...

attachment.php

Woof...

Again: copper goes INSIDE the center port of the carboy cap, the balloon neck goes OUTSIDE the center port, tape goes around the OUTSIDE of the balloon neck, clamp goes around the OUTSIDE of the tape...

Great! no tape was probably my issue then, think I will double bag the balloons still.

Latest posts

Back