Cold crashing not needed...if fining.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Ever since making my Keezer I have used it for easy cold crashing, but at same time as starting this, I also started fining with gelatin. End result was crystal clear beer! Recently I did a Imperial Brown (Janet's) and did not cold crash BUT I did do the gelatin fining (figured it's brown so not caring as much with clarity, my imperial stout I didn't even use gelatin). I was surprised at the clarity...especially considering the ass load of dry hops the imperial brown called for (3 oz). I don't think there is any difference from cold crashed. I have bells two hearted which is both crashed and fined and there is zero difference. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417996023.606290.jpg

Agreed, although I go the other way and cold crash instead of using gelatin to avoid adding extra ingredients...

Well you might be just right on that. I do cold crash, because I find it easier to keg and force carbonate cold beer, as it is ready right away.

I tried fining, then cold crash the day before and kegging, and I found it crystal clear too. I doubt the overnight stay at cold temp cleared anything, it must have something to do with the fining with gelatin.

I'll keep doing both for practical purpose (and because I have a dedicated refrigerator)

Cheers !

Well you might be just right on that. I do cold crash, because I find it easier to keg and force carbonate cold beer, as it is ready right away.

I tried fining, then cold crash the day before and kegging, and I found it crystal clear too. I doubt the overnight stay at cold temp cleared anything, it must have something to do with the fining with gelatin.

I'll keep doing both for practical purpose (and because I have a dedicated refrigerator)

Cheers !

Fining works much better on cold beer than room temp beer from what I've read. I don't fine the beer until its cold (which is one benefit of cold crashing 24hrs prior). For my brown, I had it conditioning in keg in closet for a number of weeks before throwing it in the keezer to carb. Then opened it and tossed the gelatin in once cold.

I understand that cold crashing is not only for clarifying but also for defining the structure of the beer.

Something about the beer changing its taste if being served colder than it was fermented.

I understand that cold crashing is not only for clarifying but also for defining the structure of the beer.

Something about the beer changing its taste if being served colder than it was fermented.

Temperature affects both the taste of beer when serving and yeast activity.

The bitterness and sweetness are both subdued by cooler temperatures when eating or drinking (try eating warm ice cream and you will figure this one out pretty quick) but more importantly yeast will produce different flavours at different temperatures.

I thought that at low temps yeats became dormant and activity ceased, however I'm currently lagering at 4C and having to hold the fermentation chamber at 0C due to the yeast activity keeping my beer warmer than ambient. (Unless I have an infection but everything seems fine). Of course this is using lager yeast (saflager w-34/70) which will go dormant at a lower temperature than an ale yeast but I was surprised at just how low it went.

Now before anyone politely reminds me that Yeast do go dormant at low temperatures, I am aware of that. I was just surprised that yeast kept working at such low temperatures.

On my next ale I am going to slowly bring the temp down after fermentation to see what temperature the yeast goes dormant at (its wyeast 1056).

Not sure what you mean here....cold crashing is not involved with fermenting, it is a process performed once fermentation is complete in order to lower temp to point where molecules in suspension at warmer temp drop out of suspension at cooler temp to allow for a clearer beer.

Yeah. But I heard it generates the other effect. Cold crash at lower temp than it will be ever be maintained/served to keep the taste it has at that point for longer.

Sorry I don't quite follow that theory.

Also i just read my last post and its way off topic :/ my bad

I read that gelatin not work without cold crash (I find some test that say this). This is good news for me, because I not have fridge for crashing.

I be try gelatin on my current batch on warm temperature.

Fining works much better on cold beer than room temp beer from what I've read. I don't fine the beer until its cold (which is one benefit of cold crashing 24hrs prior). For my brown, I had it conditioning in keg in closet for a number of weeks before throwing it in the keezer to carb. Then opened it and tossed the gelatin in once cold.

So what you did here was cold crash and fine, you just waited a few weeks to do it.

I just gelatin fined my kolsch that is in the keezer , I can see my hand on the other end of the fermentor on one of them, the other is still chill hazed , I just added more gelatin to the second one , I do this at 32 . Hopefully I can get both clear this time . I’m also going to keep it at 32 for 2 weeks . Really hoping for bright clear beer.

I've heard from experienced homebrewers that gelatin also works at room temperature if it is dissolved in a little cold water for half hour and then add hot water and pour and stir in a fermenter day or two prior to bottling.

No, it really doesn't work like that. Need to cold crash for gelatin to work like it's supposed to. Also, stirring the fermenter is a great way to get all the junk back into suspension and oxidize your beer.

Ah, in the end I have to choose whether to use gelatin without a cold crash and in what way.

i recently heard on the beersmith podcast that drastically reducing the temp to cold crash can negatively impact the beer because it causes the yeast to go dormant too quickly and they do not have a chance to remove diacetyl and other clean up towards the end fermentation. Cold crashing, as suggested by this particular brewer, is best done by slowly reducing temperature by 1 -2 degrees an hour and gradually decreasing temp. This without extremely complicated control is prohibitive.

Thus, he said they filter/fine their beer and do not cold crash. He said if anything bumping up the temp a few degrees for diacetyl rest is suggested and then let filtering fining do the work. There is also kegging which will also perform a cold crash as the beer carbs up and conditions further.

i recently heard on the beersmith podcast that drastically reducing the temp to cold crash can negatively impact the beer because it causes the yeast to go dormant too quickly and they do not have a chance to remove diacetyl and other clean up towards the end fermentation. Cold crashing, as suggested by this particular brewer, is best done by slowly reducing temperature by 1 -2 degrees an hour and gradually decreasing temp. This without extremely complicated control is prohibitive.

Thus, he said they filter/fine their beer and do not cold crash. He said if anything bumping up the temp a few degrees for diacetyl rest is suggested and then let filtering fining do the work. There is also kegging which will also perform a cold crash as the beer carbs up and conditions further.
That's illogical. Just give it two or three more days with the higher temperature for cleaning and cold crash afterwards.

I'll try gelatine, but only 24 hours so I'm sure enough yeast for bottle conditions.

I'm still not sure if to use gelatin or not?
If gelatin mostly cleans the yeast residues and I would like to reduce the amount of protein then she does not really help. Irish moss removes proteins, but it's too late for her because it goes to the wort.

As Miraculix say, do nothing and give it some time.

I'm still not sure if to use gelatin or not?
If gelatin mostly cleans the yeast residues and I would like to reduce the amount of protein then she does not really help. Irish moss removes proteins, but it's too late for her because it goes to the wort.

As Miraculix say, do nothing and give it some time.
No, I meant use the Gelatine and give it some time :)

In worst case, it won't hurt. In the best case it will improve your haze issues.

Back