Cold Crashing in a King Chubby PET fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDance

Reaction score
Hi all,
Not sure if this should be in Bottling/Kegging or Yeast/Fermentation? But, as you can see I chose this forum...

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience fermenting in a pressurizable (is that a word?) PET fermenter, like a King Chubby or Junior? Something that has gas in/liquid out posts.

I'm thinking about the cold crashing process. Would this work?

Ferment as usual. Put in fridge to cold crash. Attach C02 gas line in at 1 psi (just a random number. Could be more) for any suck back. Then transfer to serving keg?

Is that a viable process? Too many steps? Not enough?

I look forward to any input!

Exactly what I do when I cold crash in my PET Fermonster. Works great.
Thanks for the feed back @wsmith1625. I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do.

On a similar, yet different, note...

How does a blow off work in that kind of container if its an energetic fermentation? Do you hook a blow off line to the gas input?

Yes, I do that too. I have heard people caution that if the krausen gets to high it could clog the poppet and cause a problem, but doing 5.5 gal. batches in my 7 gal. Fermonster leaves me plenty of head space.

I use an open spunding valve on the gas input but the krausen never gets near so just stick a gas disconnect should work fine. Just take it off after fermentation nearly complete and get some natural carbonation.

ive had astringency issues cold crashing with the dry hops though so only keep the hops in for 2 days and rack without a cold crash now.

Hi all,
Not sure if this should be in Bottling/Kegging or Yeast/Fermentation? But, as you can see I chose this forum...

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience fermenting in a pressurizable (is that a word?) PET fermenter, like a King Chubby or Junior? Something that has gas in/liquid out posts.

I'm thinking about the cold crashing process. Would this work?

Ferment as usual. Put in fridge to cold crash. Attach C02 gas line in at 1 psi (just a random number. Could be more) for any suck back. Then transfer to serving keg?

Is that a viable process? Too many steps? Not enough?

I look forward to any input!
Does 1 PSI work for you? Im going to Do the same but not sure how much co2 pressure to put on fermenter when cold crashing. 🤔

Latest posts

Back