Cold crashing first time take a look please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soundwav

Reaction score
Brew House Cerveza

This is my first time cold crashing
i do have a few brews under my belt of extract kits so i think im doing ok with this? but i have to ask.

decided to move this batch over to my carboy after all my buckets threw the seal out the window, (what a mess!!!) first time moving a batch over to a secondary.

1 week in main (before i had to move due to the seal)
1 week in secondary

pic enclosed is after 3 days in kegerator current temp is 27c trying to dial the temp in a bit more to get it around 30 but the fridge is almost off on the dial.
I will have to put something else in the fridge with the keg or get a controller, my tank is too big (20lb)

should i cold crash colder?? or just let it do its thing?
pulled a sample today and check for clarity as my plan was to use gelatin to clear it more as its going to have to sit in the kegerator for at least another week since my tank needs to go for certification and that takes 3 days here! cant do that until monday.

Please chime in with your opinions and or advice

Thank you

There is a battery behind the glass

Something doesn't compute.

Cold crashing means...cold... As in nearly freezing. 32°F/0°C.

27°C is about 80°F. 30°C is even warmer.

Could you please check your numbers and give us more information?

Yea you'll want this to be in the range of 0-5C; aim higher if you don't have a controller to avoid freezing the beer, the freezing point is a bit below water's but breathing room is a good thing.

ok.. i can go way colder then this..

thats why i was asking... the fridge is almost off and she gets very cold.
so i will turn it up more and let it get colder.

i had it at -3 yesterday was worried about it freezing as i was gone most of the day!

i had it at -3 yesterday was worried about it freezing as i was gone most of the day!
Yup, that is what you need to be careful about. It'll take a while to freeze 20-24L of beer but it is a real danger, even more so if you are using glass since... boom...

ok so from your opinion im doing okay???

it will be fine in the fridge for another week???
see where im at before i add the gelatin if i need too?

i add my gelatin when i transfer to carboy, then it goes for cold crash... if your kegging it, it will clear out in the keg over the next few weeks of drinking it. dont worry.

i add my gelatin when i transfer to carboy, then it goes for cold crash... if your kegging it, it will clear out in the keg over the next few weeks of drinking it. dont worry.

Or gelatin and cold crash in the keg. No more worries about siphoning up some yeast on the way to the keg :)

Something doesn't compute.

Cold crashing means...cold... As in nearly freezing. 32°F/0°C.

27°C is about 80°F. 30°C is even warmer.

Could you please check your numbers and give us more information?

Ya that was my fault. Thermometer was set incorrectly and I just took a quick look at it

But if you gelatin in the keg, you have to worry about sucking up some small jelly balls unless you rack to another one.

But if you gelatin in the keg, you have to worry about sucking up some small jelly balls unless you rack to another one.

Gelatin does not form balls that I have ever seen, and everthing is gone after the the first pint or so... maybe you are thinking of isinglass?

(edit: you do have to dissolve gelatin using a little heat)

This is what I get with gelatin in the keg:

boxingdaybittertaste3.jpg

Back