cold crashing before bottling problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyjoe

Reaction score
During my cold crash my probe was not in the right place ( I left it up to high in the stand up freezer I am using, my mistake) and the carboy ALMOST got frozen.

I was cold crashing at about 40 and the bottom was closer to 32. The beer was not frozen but it was getting real close. Is this pale ale ruined or what. And if not will there be enough yeast to bottle.

When you cold crash, you want to get the beer as close to freezing as you can with out freezing it. Sounds like you accidentally did it perfect. Relax...no worries.

When you cold crash, you want to get the beer as close to freezing as you can with out freezing it. Sounds like you accidentally did it perfect. Relax...no worries.

I do not know it was just starting to get some ice crystals (a little slush) when I found it.

If the beer seems exceptionally bright, you might want to reserve a couple of tablespoons of the yeast cake to mix in at bottling time...

Cheers!

Add about a third of a packet of dry yeast at bottling to ensure there's enough yeast to carbonate, along with the sugar.

Other than that, your cold crashing sounds like it went well. It'll be pretty clear.

Latest posts

Back