Cold crashing and tin foil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komocabo

Reaction score
I have been using my freezer as a fermentation chamber. It is controlled by and STC-1000 and it is great.

So I decided to cold crash an IPA that I brewed for the 4th of July. I was reading all of the threads, and everyone seems to be worried about suck back, and O2, etc., due to the pressure loss of chilling quickly. I get that, but I wonder why not just remove the airlock and bung all together, and replace that with a sanitized piece of tinfoil over the top of the fermenter. Hell, throw a rubber band around it if you're worried about the minimal amount of O2 that may be introduced.

I am thinking it's the same way I handle my yeast starters, which are successful... After all, starters ferment, then get cold crashed for pitching.

Has anyone done this? Is there any danger/drawback?

Am I an idiot for thinking this, or exceptionally thrift (aka cheap!)

Cheers

I don't see any reason not to. It's going to suck air in regardless. And I wouldn't bother with the rubber band. I doubt the air would pay much attention to it.

Oh, and I set the STC-1000 to 4*C, and will let it sit for 48 hours or so... Is that all good?

(First time cold-crashing)

I actually generally go even lower for cold crashing. I set mine at -0.5*C. For cold crashing you want to get it as cold as possible w/o freezing your beer. Since it has alcohol in it you can get below 32*F/0*C. Right around 0*C should give you great results. If you don't have a small fan to circulate air make sure you put your probe towards the bottom of the freezer where it will be colder.

Excellent. I will drop the temp a little bit now. I have the probe taped to the side of the fermenter (sanke keg) with some insulation to (hopefully) tell a more accurate temp. So far, so good though.

Cheers for the prompt attention,
Watson

Back