Cold crashed yeast still foamy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen this in 6 years of making starters. After 30 plus hours in the fridge, my starter still has about 1/4" of foam on the top.
I used a 3 liter flask to make 2 liters of Imperial Flagship yeast. I boiled water in a pristine clean flask the night before, covered with foil and let it cool overnight. Then I added 2 cans of Propper Starter (I've used this 4 times before) and noticed it was foamy but the starter kicked off fast (it is Imperial after all). 24 hours later, I cold crashed. There was foam but not the type you see in krausen. It's been in the fridge, smells and looks fine otherwise.
So, RDWHAHB?

Is the beer under the foam clear? With a layer of yeast on the bottom of the flask? If so I wouldn't worry about the foam. I can't say I have ever seen that. I have never used commercial canned wort. I did can a batch years ago, it didn't react any differently than a DME starter.

Back