Cold-crashed WLP 570 un-flocc'd itself!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2bluewagons

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian golden strong on Jan 14, pitched 2L starter of White Labs 570. Fermentation started with a bang within 6 hours, started temp at 64*F and gradually increasing temp ending at 82*F on Jan 22, after which I left it at 75*F for another 7 days. OG was 1.076, FG 1.008

So after a total of 15 days primary fermentation, I placed the carboy in the fridge at 33*F for nearly two weeks until 2/11. The top 4/5 of the beer was clear, with a ~2" cloudy layer on top of the yeast cake. At that point I removed from the fridge and placed in a room that probably varied between 50-65*F night/day temps. FG was 1.007-1.008. I left town for a week and a half thinking that the remaining yeast would settle and I could bottle when I returned.

Today I take a look and it looks like all the low-floccing yeast that took nearly two weeks to drop has completely re-suspended itself. I am seeing some CO2 coming out of solution and yeast chunks getting a ride to the top via CO2 bubbles that I think may be to blame for the re-suspension.

This was my first time cold-crashing, as it was my first time with this yeast which apparently is a pretty poor flocculater. Guess I made some mistakes.

So, my question is, do I re-crash and bottle immediately after removing from the fridge? Or should I just leave it and wait for yeast to re-floc on its own? I don't really need the beer to be super clear, and I'm not interested in adding finings. But I want to minimize the amount of yeast making it to the bottles.

Thanks for any advice,

I'd say this is a prime example of the beer needing some more time on the yeast. I would just let it continue for a few weeks and then cold crash again when the beer has cleared some on it's own.

Back