Cold Crash to Sink Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justino411

Reaction score
I need to cold crash solely to get dry hops to sink. It's -10 F outside here in Alaska. Do I really need to let my carboy slowly drop to 40 F overnight or can I just put my carboy outside for 30 minutes? Main concern being some harm to the beer that my scientifically feeble brain may have overlooked.

I cold-crash in a temperature controlled fridge and the pellet mush is the first thing to hit the bottom of the carboy, usually in the first 24 hours when the beer temp has reached about 40°F.

I do go another couple of days, getting down to 34°F, to get any chill haze to appear and drop, but if all you want to do is crash the hops, 40°F or lower will do it. The one thing I can't say is what the shortest amount of time would work - I don't keep that close an eye on the process, I just set it up and let it rip for three to four days then keg.

Just be careful you don't leave the poor thing out to freeze solid ;)

Cheers!

I went for it and it worked pretty well. The key though was the hop bag tied to the end of the racking cane. It looks like the bag filtered most of the hops but I'm going to let it sit in in my bottling bucket over night to let the little stuff settle. This is my first dry hop and damn it tastes goooooood!

Latest posts

Back