Cold crash = Slow carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael311

Reaction score
I've read a few threads about cold-crashing and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on if doing so drops the yeast out enough to prevent proper carbonation in bottles. Some insist they never have issues, others say add yeast at bottling "to be safe."

I'm a new brewer, on my eighth AG batch. I picked up a chest freezer to control fermentation temps and to cold crash.

I've cold-crashed my last four batches and I've been happy with the results. Definitely see clearer beer and carbonation has been quick. However, on my last batch, I extended the cold-crashing time from 2 days to 4 days. I'm also getting better in my racking technique and I'm not stirring things up at bottling like I used to do.

Anyway, I like to test a beer at week one, week two, etc. Normally after a week it's not anywhere near fully carbonated but it's always bubbling especially after swirling it around. Today I tried my one week old red ale and I got a small hiss upon opening the bottle but there was next to zero carbonation. I tried swirling it in a glass and nothing. Flat.

So I'm wondering if the longer cold-crash time is the culprit? Anyone else experience something similar?

I think it could definitely be the culprit. A longer cold crash should in theory settle and compact the yeast/trub cake more getting less I to your bottles. There still should be plenty of healthy yeast in there to carb your beers, it just might take a little longer than you're used to. My only other thought would be ambient temps - are the bottles at 70F or are they colder than normal, that could slow down carb process.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think it could definitely be the culprit. A longer cold crash should in theory settle and compact the yeast/trub cake more getting less I to your bottles. There still should be plenty of healthy yeast in there to carb your beers, it just might take a little longer than you're used to. My only other thought would be ambient temps - are the bottles at 70F or are they colder than normal, that could slow down carb process.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the reply.

Ambient temps are around 70, in an upstairs closet enjoying cool June Southern California closet weather.

I don't cold crash and I've had some beers perfectly carbed after a week, while others were flat (with a small hiss like you had) after one, and took three to be properly carbed up.

I could be wrong, but part of it could probably come down to what yeast you're using (how flocculant it is), to, more obviously, how much priming sugar you used, as well as what temperature it's at. If there is a slight hiss, just give it some more time and you'll be fine.

I'm only 3 batches in so take this for what it's worth but my basement ambient temp is 63-64 deg and I've got good fermentation using Notty. and 05 right away. I dry hop no bags right into the primary and have cold crashed my first 3 batches in my fridge at mid 30's temps. Bottle condition in main floor closet and with AC the temp is between 68-72 deg. My first beer which I'm pretty sure I underpitched took 3 weeks but sounds just like you describe, the second was carbed after one week as well as was the third but I got the priming more accurate. Just give it 3 maybe even 4 weeks and it should be fine. My first beer of which some is still in the closet at 70 deg has really nice carbonation now. hope this helps a little.

I don't cold crash and I've had some beers perfectly carbed after a week, while others were flat (with a small hiss like you had) after one, and took three to be properly carbed up.

I could be wrong, but part of it could probably come down to what yeast you're using (how flocculant it is), to, more obviously, how much priming sugar you used, as well as what temperature it's at. If there is a slight hiss, just give it some more time and you'll be fine.

The recipe called for WLP001 and I pitched two vials, 4 oz priming sugar for 4.5 gallons and it's currently at about 70 degrees.

Back