Cold Crash question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
I have a brown that didnt quite end up hitting its FG and is a tad sweet, time to experiment.

Gonna split it up, put 3g on bourbon/oak cubes, 1 gallon chipotle, 1 gallon control.

So, question: Since Im not going directly to keg or bottle, should I cold crash and then move them to their various secondaries? or should I just rack and crash the individual secondaries?

My gut tells me to crash for a couple days since the yeast is done and I want it out of suspension.

I am a big fan of cold crashing the primary, but in your situation, I would simply transfer to the secondaries and then crash them before bottling/kegging.

I also just realized I have a jar of washed yeast from another batch. I may just fire up another starter and pitch that. However, the beer is 14 days old so should I just chalk it up to a loss or give it a shot?

How far from expected FG is it? That # is merely an estimate. A little bit higher is no cause for worry, especially if you may have possibly mashed this a little high or used extract.

How far from expected FG is it? That # is merely an estimate. A little bit higher is no cause for worry, especially if you may have possibly mashed this a little high or used extract.

It was an all-grain oatmeal brown with a SG of 1.060 and it sputtered out at 1.025. Its about .011 off my target FG so its not overly sweet or anything. I think it was an aeration issue because two other beers that same weekend hit their FG or went past it. I didnt aerate this one as well as the others.

I'd maybe pitch a bit more yeast and warm up temps some.

As far as cold crashing, I cold crash whenever I transfer. Sometimes twice, but since your beer is darker, it won't matter too much. I just like doing that on the lighter colored SRM styles.

It was an all-grain oatmeal brown with a SG of 1.060 and it sputtered out at 1.025. Its about .011 off my target FG so its not overly sweet or anything. I think it was an aeration issue because two other beers that same weekend hit their FG or went past it. I didnt aerate this one as well as the others.

What was your mash temp?

Latest posts

Back