Cold Crash Conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahariton

Reaction score
I recently got a 12.5 gallon conical and an upright freezer for fermentation.

If I'm going to dump the yeast when fermentation is complete, is there any reason to cold crash before kegging?

Thanks

Andy

Thanks

Jordo - makes sense

NervousDad - there's not a CO2 post, so not sure how to connect. I can't either dumping the yeast or cold crashing would introduce enough oxygen to oxidize. I'm planning on keeping an airlock on. Not worried if a tiny bit of starsan gets sucked in.

You can add a weldless port for a spunding valve. Apply a small amount of co2 pressure to counter act the pressure drop when the vessel drops in temperature. My conical can hold a lot of pressure so I just crank it up to 10psi and let it drop. The pressure drop significantly.

If you can hold pressure you could probably carbonate in the conical too.

Andy,

I just posted a video on connecting co2 to the top of your conical so you don't introduce oxygen. I posted it in the kegging and bottling forum. It is an added step but is well worth it.

Andy,

I just posted a video on connecting co2 to the top of your conical so you don't introduce oxygen. I posted it in the kegging and bottling forum. It is an added step but is well worth it.

Agreed, I've seen people just destroy beer by allowing O2 uptake. Doesn't take much to ruin the self life of a beer.

Back