cold crash and carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbkdev

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of cold crashing my pliny clone before dry hoping. Can cold crashing cause carbonation problems or make it take a lot longer due to low yeast? Will it carb faster if no cold crashing is done?

It will carb faster if you don't cold crash but every beer I have cold crashed has been carbonated in 4 weeks. I am a firm believer in cold crashing.

Side note, I would wait until after you dry hop to cold crash to make sure any hop gunk falls out of your beer.

Two things. CO2 absorbs into solution more efficiently in cold liquid than warm, so it's best to carb cold. I've heard Vinnie at Russian River dry hops between 52 and 72 degrees. Any colder and you will have trouble getting the hop oils extracted into your beer and you'll have a loss in aroma.

The reaction (fermentation) takes place in the liquid phase - the reaction product CO2, if dissolved in the liquid would act to slow fermentation

I am not sure if fermentation is pressure dependent so higher pressure (higher temp) may also slow down the fermentation - but that is unknown to me.

In any case if you carb it warm or cold - once you stick it in the fridge to drink, you will be in the same dissolved CO2 levels.

The reaction (fermentation) takes place in the liquid phase - the reaction product CO2, if dissolved in the liquid would act to slow fermentation

I am not sure if fermentation is pressure dependent so higher pressure (higher temp) may also slow down the fermentation - but that is unknown to me.

In any case if you carb it warm or cold - once you stick it in the fridge to drink, you will be in the same dissolved CO2 levels.

I was more implying that cold crashing and racking removes a lot of yeast, was curious how the lower yeast count would effect it. I'll be bottling it about 20 days before the fourth of July and am really hoping to have it ready by then.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

I was more implying that cold crashing and racking removes a lot of yeast, was curious how the lower yeast count would effect it. I'll be bottling it about 20 days before the fourth of July and am really hoping to have it ready by then.

It should carb just fine so long as you store the bottles where it's 72-75*F.

Why are you waiting to bottle for a month? Can't you bottle before then?

My concern is that the beer will be past it's peak by then, although it should still taste pretty good.

Why are you waiting to bottle for a month? Can't you bottle before then?

My concern is that the beer will be past it's peak by then, although it should still taste pretty good.

I'm brewing this weekend. Pliny Recipe calls for 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks worth of dry hopping in secondary, that puts bottling day on june 14th. That gives me a day shy of 3 weeks to bottle carb before it's time to drink.

Two things. CO2 absorbs into solution more efficiently in cold liquid than warm, so it's best to carb cold. I've heard Vinnie at Russian River dry hops between 52 and 72 degrees. Any colder and you will have trouble getting the hop oils extracted into your beer and you'll have a loss in aroma.

How cold are you thinking? I believe the question is surrounding bottling and bottle conditioning the beer, not force carbing in a keg. Cold temps do allow for more CO2 to be dissolved into a liquid but in this case it has to be warm enough for the yeast to do their job. You can bottle when the beer is warm or cold but it will need to be warmer (room temp) for it to carbonate.

I'm brewing this weekend. Pliny Recipe calls for 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks worth of dry hopping in secondary, that puts bottling day on june 14th. That gives me a day shy of 3 weeks to bottle carb before it's time to drink.
Depending on your temps, there is probably not going to be an issue shortening the primary a couple days, and 2 weeks is way longer than i think most people dry hop.

Back