Cold Conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelindner

Reaction score
Hi,

If I have my beer in primary fermentation for 2 weeks and then have it cold condition for the last week, is there any chance the colder temperatures and the flocculation of the yeast will prevent residual yeast from adequately carbonating the beer when I bottle?

Do you guys recommend cold conditioning?

If you'll wait patiently for about 2 weeks after bottling it should carbonate fine, haven't had any issues myself so far when cold crashing.
But if you are worried you can add a little bit of yeast before bottling.
A lot of similar threads in this forum, so you should use the search button : )

Cheers!

I cold "crash" all my brews. After 28 days fermenting at about 65 F I put them in the cold room (39F) for about 5 days -- dry hopping right in the bucket if appropriate for style. The cold will help the yeast settle out and clarify the beer. I have never had any issue with carbonation after that. I bottle them while still cold then move back to 65F for 4 weeks. Testing one at day 21 and day 28. After that down to cold storage where they can be consumed with pleasure and joy.

Latest posts

Back